Can Lights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Bumping this up. Cabinets have been ordered and I bought 4 inch LED low profile lights. I am attaching 2 pictures of the area. Any input on where to place them would be great. I'd rather have to many and put them on a dimmer then dark spots. There will be a light over the sink and on the island (wife hasn't decided that yet) I am going to run some low voltage under cabinet lighting. 20200407_092847.jpg20200407_092839.jpg

That island is almost 10 feet long, it needs three pendants to properly light it.

This island is 10'6'' long. Lighting is Par16, 3000k 40 degree flood, 500 lumen LED.​
P_20200408_195155.jpg
If you put a light centered on the fridge, make sure it's a few inches in front of the face of the fridge(if it's not a counter depth fridge), not the upper cabinet - otherwise it will cast a short dark shadow in front of the fridge.​

Reactions: fbelec
Good to know. I'm still trying to decide to put a light in front of the fridge and stove or space everything evenly on the ceiling then have under cabinet lights, sink light, and island hanging lights. I'm seeing all kinds of different lay outs when I browse the web.

how big is kitchen? layout or pics would be helpful.
Our kitchen is about 10 x 15' U shaped, 114" ceiling. The can lights are 32" apart, every other joist bay. These are old school cans with FEIT, 60w LED retrofits (3200K). The lighting is quite good. My wife has very poor low light vision and this works well for her. The hanging light is also LED and is usually off when the can lights are on. We use that for general lighting. There used to be a circular fluorescent there.

IMG_0546.jpg

Last edited:
Begreen. How far out are the ones over your cabinet? Any issues with shadows? I was doing some calculations and may put 8 in. 2 rows of 4. Just concerned with the counter shadows. Some of the prep will happen on the island. Not worried about that spot.

The lights are 21" in front of the cabinets. This casts about a 5" deep shadow. We have no need for under the cabinet lighting. There is 17" between the cabinet top and the ceiling. If your ceiling is lower then at that spacing the shadow would even be less.
IMG_0547.jpg

and don't forget when you are working on the counter you are working in front of you and not up against the wall