Can Someone Tell me about the Leyden Hearth Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intermediatic

Oct 8, 2011
New Jersey
Hi everyone,

We just bought a new house, built in 1981. It came with a Leyden Hearth Fireplace Insert.

[IMG=http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2734/kv20111008090454.jpg][/IMG]

It's clear from reading the forums that a hearth like this won't be as efficient as a modern one, but even if this is heresy, I don't plan on heating with wood all the time yet but rather just augmenting the heat in the house on occasions while we watch TV.

In case you are wondering, I've got zero interest in converting this into a freestanding unit until the new bad future hits and natural gas hits $10 a therm. That just wouldn't work in this house.

So now the questions.

First, is it safe? We have the original documentation and it states very clearly that no chimney insert is to be used and none is present. Our chimney sweep pointed out that this is not up to code today for safety issues.

So that would would require an entirely new insert and given the design of the house, it'd be probably require a Morso 5660 insert and that's going to be around $6,000 if I'm lucky. It'd look better, sure, but again, unclear if its worth it for me. Maybe in a couple of years.

For argument's sake, we're willing to take the risk of a regular fireplace so is this less safe than a regular fireplace? Again, remember that we aren't running it 24/7. Maybe 3 hours a day, four-five days a week maximum.

So, if its not as safe as a regular fireplace, just how much heat would we be losing taking it out entirely? The fireplace would certainly look nice and cost nothing.

Burning out of an open fireplace, even with doors, is strictly for effect you will not get any heat out of it. More likely than not you will increase your heating costs. I have done just that for the last few years and it's pleasant but I would not use it at times where there was a call for heat from the furnace because the fireplace sucks all the heated air out of the house so only used it early fall and spring.

As far as your insert, I used an insert of similar age and type as what you show a few years back and that's how they used to install them back then at least in my area. No liner to top of chimney just enough connection to get it up to the clay liner. They throw off good heat and generally draft ok once warmed up. If the sweep says your OK go ahead and use it but keep your eye on the flue and keep it clean.

intermediatic said:
Thanks for the input!

One more question for all of you... One of my blowers is noisy. Any thoughts?

TV's have volume control for a reason ;-) . Seriously, you can prob find a replacement if it's that bad, they all make a little noise. Comes with territory.

It's gotten colder and I've had the opportunity to use the insert a bit. I'm impressed by how easy it is to control the flame in the unit.

Two questions.

1. Some previous owner tried to paint it and left a drip on one spot. Any thoughts as to how to clean that up?

2. How can I tell the unit's heat output and efficiency. I have an infrared surface thermometer, if that helps, but I suspect it doesn't… 

Status
Not open for further replies.