Can You

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philbrick

Mar 20, 2011
chicopee ma
Can you take any pellet stove and vent it thru the house? My reason for asking is a friend has a stove in the basement and he keep the basement door open to heat upstairs. To me that dosen't sound very cost saving. He already has the venting in the house as also has forced hot air

Are you asking if he can "Duct it" through his HVAC? Or if he can move the stove upstairs?

Its ALWAYS best to heat the area you want heated. If you spend your time upstairs. That's where the stove should be. If he has enough Pellet vent to do a basement install, he has plenty to re-vent it upstairs.

There are a few people on here who have good luck heating with a pellet stove from the basement. There are also a few that have "modified" there stoves to accept some form of ducting. If you do this, you must make sure there are safeties involved and get the Fire inspector out to look at it. But he wants a Pellet stove to be Ducted in? Then he should look into a Pellet/Bio-Mass Furnace.
But the best bet, is to move the stove upstairs. IMO. Much better results when you heat the area you live in.

Well, then you SCORED BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!well at least about the stove being on the main fl. i wasn;t sure adding the stove to the duct work

Status
Not open for further replies.