Canada to increase carbon tax to $170/tonne by 2030

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Fraud, waste, and abuse are probably the biggest issues our country really has to face. With the right oversight and accountability there should be more than enough tax money to take care of everyone.

Reactions: CaptSpiff
Do you have no federal roadways? Providences cover all of the roads? I was under the impression Canada had it's own "Autostrada/Autobahn/Interstate" system.

Sure we do, the TransCanada highway, but the federal government only pays a portion of that, the provinces make up the rest. Ironically one of the worst maintained highways in Alberta is the transcanada. Regardless the TC highway makes up less than 1% of the road surfaces in Alberta.

I don't understand supporting higher taxes, I already pay half my income to the various taxes we have. Somehow I can put a roof over my head, feed myself, own a vehicle and maintain it, do all the other fun things on 50% of what I earn. Somehow it takes the other half to build roads, hospitals and schools that we all share. I guess I'm also leaving out the portion that the government officials stuff in their own pockets and the pockets of their buddies.

If you want to see how inefficient something can become get the government involved.

I would have much less of an issue with the Carbon Tax if it was a zero sum system where all funds went back into carbon reduction. But that's not how the system works, it is becoming the funder of our guaranteed income system, wealth redistribution if you will. Very quickly this tax will generate enough revenue to begin replacing fossil fuels with clean energy, but that's not how it'll be used.

Reactions: Eureka
Wow, scanning through this it seems as though the whole country is going New Jersey on you lol, but honestly, its the "haves vs the have nots" in this game, I do believe the underlying issue is the shift towards new technologies such as battery storage, smarter electrical transmission and distribution. Just so happens that cars and trucks that run on fossil fuels are the first to see the consequences of the carbon tax which affects the general population.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Governments often seem inefficient when compared to companies, but the government has a lot more "employees" than most corporations. Giant corporations are rarely ever efficient.

Do you have no federal roadways? Providences cover all of the roads? I was under the impression Canada had it's own "Autostrada/Autobahn/Interstate" system
Each province has there own divided highways. In Ontario,
it is the 400 system from Quebec to southern Ontario The busiest
in Canada 401
There is also the highway that goes from St Johns Newfoundland to Vancouver British Columbia
starts as highway 1 then in Ontario it becomes Highway 17 and at the Manitoba border
changes back to highway 1. Don't know why

Governments often seem inefficient when compared to companies, but the government has a lot more "employees" than most corporations. Giant corporations are rarely ever efficient.

Some of the worlds largest corporations are also the most profitable, you don't become large and profitable without also being efficient.

Governments seem inefficient because they are inefficient. In 2016 the average Canadian family earned $83,105, they also paid $35,283 in taxes. The average Canadian family spends less on housing, food and clothing combined then they do on taxes. You can't tell me that is efficiency in any sense of the word.

Reactions: Eureka
Governments seem inefficient because they are inefficient. In 2016 the average Canadian family earned $83,105, they also paid $35,283 in taxes. The average Canadian family spends less on housing, food and clothing combined then they do on taxes. You can't tell me that is efficiency in any sense of the word.

You have to remember the population of Canada is just over 37 .5 million
there are more people in California than all of Canada
Small population large area Taxes will be more with that large area to service

Reactions: SpaceBus
You have to remember the population of Canada is just over 37 .5 million
there are more people in California than all of Canada
Small population large area Taxes will be more with that large area to service

Yes and no, infrastructure in most areas is very basic, just roads, and most of this cost is covered by municipalities and the province. Nothing like the major costs of building and maintaining the massive interstates, overpasses, etc of California. The land we occupy is also very small in comparison to the total land mass, 90% of Canadians live within 100miles of the US border. Many communities outside this are connected by a mere 2 lane paved road.

Also healthcare, and post secondary education, are all centralized. Most communities have a small basic hospital but any major treatment requires going to a major center.

On an inflation adjusted basis taxes have increased pretty much steadily in Canada since the 60's, at what point does it stop? I'm approaching the point where it'll no longer be beneficial to work harder and more hours to earn more money. I should just be lazy and let the government look after me like some others do, except for the fact that the system depends on the taxes of people like me to fund it all.

Reactions: johneh and Eureka
I'm approaching the point where it'll no longer be beneficial to work harder and more hours to earn more money. I should just be lazy and let the government look after me
Your government loves you.