Canadian-made Fisher Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
Where were Fisher stoves made in Canada?

Were any of them made with a one piece back, bottom & ash fender?

I'm trying to figure out where my Grandpa Bear was made. The only marking on it so far is an upside down B on the upper right rear of the stove. It looks like the rest of the numbers or letters (if there are any) are covered up by the rear leg. The back, bottom & ash fender are all one continuous piece.

Rear to bottom bend
IMG_20190102_202235065.jpg
IMG_20181229_193304.jpg
IMG_20190104_195638275.jpg

Hoping to hear some feedback from our Canadian neighbors, and from coaly of course:)

Fisher Stove Works
1085 Glenmore St.
Kelwona British Columbia

Fisher Stoves
Box 36 RR 1 Cashway Road
Barrie, Ontario

Fisher Stoves LTD
Box 1700
Grand Falls, New Brunswick

Paul Payne
Box 115
Cardston, Alberta

Fisher Stove Works
5824 Ash Street
Powell River, British Columbia

Did you want their phone numbers too? ::-)

When I found oddities like yours, I would make a note of them, and watch craigslist and auctions in the same area to determine how rare and the area they were found in. It's not something that is going to show up in pictures, so you would have to contact the seller of any Grandpa (or Timberline) in your area to see how theirs is built. First question is "are there others like it"? If so, the percentage built like that, compared to drawings, next is where they came from. One of the sellers being an original owner would know where they bought it, but not all were from Fisher Showrooms. They were later sold through many suppliers, but all the suppliers in your state would have came from the same fabricator in NY. later, when there were more models, not all fabricators made all models, so when it comes to something like a Coal Bear or Goldilocks, those could have been ordered from another fabricator that made them. Chances are it came from your state, which the fabricator was making adaptations of the stove before he lost his license to build Fishers.
Are there any foundry markings inside the doors?

Your eyeballs would have really popped out if they handed you TWO Papa Bear doors for it huh?

Coaly, thanks for the information on the Canadian Fisher stoves! Their phone numbers won't be necessary... yet::-)

I posted the question about Timberline stoves in the main "Classic Wood Stove Forum" a few days ago and I've had no replies there yet.

There are foundry markings inside the doors. I'll get pictures of them and post them here later today. I don't think my eyes could handle seeing the screen AND two Papa Bear doors!!!

That letter B on the back of the stove had me thinking it could've been made in New Brunswick, or somewhere in Canada. We have all sorts of Canadians that have relocated to New York, and still hold their Canadian citizenship. If they felt as strongly about their Fisher stove as I do, I'd take all of my Fisher stoves with me if I ever decide to move, including the Mama Bear that heats my house. Leaving any of my Fisher stoves behind would be like leaving a family member behind, and I think you know what I'm talking about:)

Check back here later and I will post a pic or two of the foundry markings inside the doors.

Here is the foundry markings on the right door, along with R G/P
IMG_20190108_185954.jpg

Here is the left door marking, along with L G/P
IMG_20190108_185842.jpg