Q&A Can't get coal fire hot - draft and chimney problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm burning coal to heat my home and i keep having this problem with chiminey draft. I have a city lot so icannot burn wood, the smoke and smell would infiltrate other homes close to me.Anyway i do burn wood to lite off the coal and the draft is good 350 to 400 degrees or more from the stove pipe. then i add the coal and that beautifull blue flame arises and intrigues. I keep the ash pan door cracked until the stove reaches 350 degrees then i close the ash pan door not less than an hour later tempeture has dropped to 200 degrees or less and no matter what i do tempeture will not rise until i crack the ashpan door, and the situation repeats itself. any solutions? by the way i saw on the northern tool site about an inline draft inducer that attaches to the stove pipe and supposibly creates a draft. could you please investigate this product and send me your comments on it?

Answer:

You definitely have a draft problem. The possible solutions include:

1. Making certain all your stove pipe joints are well sealed with furnace cement.
2. Making certain that your chimney is not oversized - if so, you may want to line it with stainless steel.
3. Inceasing height of chimney (see http://www.extendaflue.com)
4. Install draft fan

The draft fan that you mention will surely work. However, you should be familiar with the potential danger of a "puch" fan such as this. If your chimney becomes blocked, the fan will continue to force gases up the flue - which could cause leakage into the home. A CO detector would be one good investement. As you may know, coal gases can be odorless but are deadly.

I have personally used draft fans and they did work to my satisfaction.

Craig --

Link: Extend-A-Flue chimney extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.