Cant keep muffler bolts in my 16" Husky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
What gives? Got the saw about 3 years ago and had no problems. Lost a muffler bolt (it happens). Bought a new muffler and tightened down on the bolts like a SOB. I still cant keep a bolt in there. It tightens up just fine - nice and snug. But after a few minutes , I'll check it, and sure enough, its about to drop out! Have you guys had this problem? I dont want to 2 part-epoxy it in there, but I dont know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Maybe try putting a lock washer under the head of each bolt. And, maybe a flat washer contacting the muffler if you are scared of the lock washer damaging the muffler.

I bought a 372XP, and one bolt had fallen out of the muffler bracket. I put lock washers on those, but I used loctite too. They have not loosened.

However, the inner dog bolts were loose as well. I put little lock washers on those without loctite and they are holding fast.

Is there a way to saftey wire them? or is the bolts loosen up due to streching when heated.

As said above; couple of star washers ought to do it... blue loctite if you really want. Flat washers under the locking washers might defeat their effectiveness.

They seem to do that after a few times of re-tighten with a t-handle after its hot normally will fix it. Lock tight for me would be a very last resort.

Locktite has various grades of strength, but works. It does let you remove a bolt also. A lock washer if the threads are partially stripped will not do much.

Trick from motocross where the vibration, pounding, and bad attention to details strains the whole bike: shove coarse steel wool into the bolt hole.
Use just enough so that the bolt feels as if it is tightening. Repeat if needed. Otherwise re-thread the bolt hole for a larger bolt.

If you tighten these muffler bolts when cold they will back out every-time unless you retighten them a few times when its hot. Once you retighten a couple time when its hot you should have a problem after that.

Now that is information that would have been useful BEFORE I lost 2 more bolts! %-P Thanks,Jay.

wood-fan-atic said:
Now that is information that would have been useful BEFORE I lost 2 more bolts! %-P Thanks,Jay.

I have lost all 4 at once and found them all.....lol just dumb luck there!

Status
Not open for further replies.