Cape Cod Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Vermont Castings Geek
Dec 5, 2007
Old Lyme CT
Just got back from a week adventure with the wife and saw quite a few piles like this 100_2914.jpg

Next time you come this way, send me a PM. I'll show you some stacks.

Will do, saw lots of piles, the one pictured was off of 6 in Wellfleet.

Will do, saw lots of piles, the one pictured was off of 6 in Wellfleet.

On the left (west) side, headed to P-town? Old gas station, been a firewood dealer for decades now, if it is the place I am thinking of.

A cord of wood must be pretty expensive on the Cape compared to central and western Mass, you guys know what a cord goes for there?

On the left (west) side, headed to P-town? Old gas station, been a firewood dealer for decades now, if it is the place I am thinking of.
Yes it was on the left, he sells a square for $10, here's more photos.100_2913.jpg100_2915.jpg

A cord of wood must be pretty expensive on the Cape compared to central and western Mass, you guys know what a cord goes for there?

Winter before a cord of locust was worth $400. Not sure about this winter, seemed like the prices were lower due to less demand.
A friend was selling green oak for $200 delivered, so seasoned must have been pretty high.
Last wood I bought was last summer, green red oak, bucked but not split, no crotches, delivered for $100. I'd do that again in a minute.

Winter before a cord of locust was worth $400. Not sure about this winter, seemed like the prices were lower due to less demand.
A friend was selling green oak for $200 delivered, so seasoned must have been pretty high.
Last wood I bought was last summer, green red oak, bucked but not split, no crotches, delivered for $100. I'd do that again in a minute.

Not as bad as I thought, Ive seen higher prices near Boston, Ive seen ads for kiln dried bark removed wood for $350-400 a cord near the city, must be for the yuppies that dont want a mess in the house.

Not as bad as I thought, Ive seen higher prices near Boston, Ive seen ads for kiln dried bark removed wood for $350-400 a cord near the city, must be for the yuppies that dont want a mess in the house.

Kiln dried makes a lot of sense. Wood dealers are notorious for selling unseasoned wood. Not so with kiln dried. Further, harmful bugs are killed so kiln dried wood can be transported across county lines. Finaly, for some, it will be the first time they have burned truly seasoned wood, and it is worth more, since less wasted heat will go up the chimney as steam.

That first picture I thought maybe you took when you went past Solar's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.