Carbon build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

novakm

Mar 15, 2008
western ma
Does anyone know what factors affect carbon build up in the burn pot?

Big flame?
Small flame?
Hardwood?
Softwood?
Too much air?
Not enough air?
Fines?
Etc.

I normally only clean and scrape on Satrday morning, usually with very little build up, but sometimes I need to scrape every other day. Once the carbon builds up to a certain level, the feed auger starts to squeal, si O know it needs scraping. It woud be nice to know what makes the difference between 1x/week and 1x/day. Harman accentra

novakm said:
Does anyone know what factors affect carbon build up in the burn pot?

Big flame?
Small flame?
Hardwood?
Softwood?
Too much air?
Not enough air?
Fines?
Etc.

I normally only clean and scrape on Satrday morning, usually with very little build up, but sometimes I need to scrape every other day. Once the carbon builds up to a certain level, the feed auger starts to squeal, si O know it needs scraping. It woud be nice to know what makes the difference between 1x/week and 1x/day. Harman accentra

I usually scrap any carbon build up once a day....just before I refill the hopper with pellets. I do it with a flame burning...seems easier to chip off while its hot . It only takes a few seconds to do. I leave chips in the pot and they burn up....just like charcoal. Moisture content in the pellets might also be a factor, salt or whatever else is added to pellets for binding (?) but I'm just guessing at that.

I only have a very thin layer to scrape by doing it daily. If I let it go, as I have in the past, for a couple of days....then I'm knocking off chunks with a hammer and chisel. I usually have a bit more carbon on the left side of the pot.

I burn Fireside Premium in a Harman Advance which gives me a bit more buildup than Penningtons. The Firesides burn hotter.

The brand of pellets will effect it. Using Maeder bros. pellets and Penningtons I chip carbon every 2-3 days. I am now using Stove Chow and have not had any carbon to speak of after 25 bags (25+ days). But the Stove Chow does cake in the burn grate after 8-12 hours and needs to be cleaned twice daily, a 1 minute job.

I've used 4 different brands this season and I get no carbon build up whatsoever.

I seem to get the same carbon buildup with the two brands of pellets I've been able to find in Cincinnati : Somerset & Pennington.

Burning on low seems to cause mine to build more carbon than anything else. It also soots the glass faster. I think that carbon is generally a sign of to little air.

Yeah....my glass around the outer edge seems to get more dirtier quicker on low.

I give the burnpot a good scrape each morning so I have not had any
problems as of yet with the carbon buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.