Cast Iron Stove Depth ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodscout

Sep 19, 2011
Eastern PA.
:rolleyes: Are their any cast iron stoves that are comparable in depth like the Napoleon 1900, or Osburn 2300, stoves. It seems that I can't find a cast iron stove that will accept a 18" or 19" log (north/south loading).
(Alderlea T6 does not count)

why doesn't the T6 count? If I'm not mistaken it behaves like a cast irron unit.

Yes, we need more info on what you are looking for and what are the issues. Understanding why the T6 doesn't count will help. Is this a cost or space issue? are you looking for a used pre-EPA stove or a currently sold EPA stove?

Have you looked at the Jotul F118 or F118CB?

:rolleyes: Hmmmmm. Thanks begreen, brothers finishing up on a newly built home (2800sf) him and wife (wood stove newbies) love the way my Napoleon 1900 excepts long splits with ease (n/s - e/w 18") loading etc. But don't like the looks of my stove (or any steel stove for that matter) AT ALL . Space is not a problem and budget ($3500) seems hefty. As far as the T6 goes, I rather not get into that - lets just say its not and will not be on there list. The Jotul F118 or F118CB I don't think will fit the bill, but will tell them to give it a look-see. However, I did tell them to check out the New Lopi Cape Cod, this is probably the closest they will get to a 3.0 cu.ft. fire box in a real cast iron stove as they put it (whatever that means) but the inside firebox depth from the specs may be somewhat short for them. Just trying to help my brother & his wife out with a little advice. Love my Napolean 1900, but will be getting rid of it after this winter season, but that's another story.

The Quadrafire Isle Royale is a nice proven, 3 cu ft cast iron stove. So is the Jotul F600.

Yes, the Isle Royale. That is a beautiful stove. My friend has one. He's a member here as well. That is a very nice unit. It puts out a ton of heat. If I was to buy a stand alone stove, that would be on my short list.

I've been meaning to measure my Rangeley N-S to see what the actual limit would be but it takes most of my splits N-s no problem. Woodscout, do you dislike all hybrid steel/cast stoves or just the T6?

:rolleyes: Are their any cast iron stoves that are comparable in depth like the Napoleon 1900, or Osburn 2300, stoves. It seems that I can't find a cast iron stove that will accept a 18" or 19" log (north/south loading). . .

I get what you are saying about there not being many iron stoves with a square firebox, but many do have a side door. Loading E-W through a side door = loading N-S through a front door, more or less. Of course, you don't have as much flexibility as with a square firebox, which allows you to place wood in either direction; but if the stove burns well E-W, and loads easily through a side door, then I'm good-to-go. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.