Castile won't feed - suspect bad motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba Gump

Dec 10, 2010
Indiana
A common problem. Ive checked all of the other suggestions. I'm down to a bad motor. Unfortunately, the service manuals don't specify what the voltages should be.

What voltage should I see at the feed motor connector for initial feed?

I see 11 volts when the call light is lit, millivolts when it not.

Thanks in advance...

As far as I know, auger motors run on 120vac. Try disconnecting the motor power leads (with stove un-plugged!), and connect straight 120v to the motor using a "test lead" made from an old lamp cord.

If it runs fine, then control board may be the problem.

imacman said:
As far as I know, auger motors run on 120vac. Try disconnecting the motor power leads (with stove un-plugged!), and connect straight 120v to the motor using a "test lead" made from an old lamp cord.

If it runs fine, then control board may be the problem.

Unless it is your air press. switch or the high limit snap disk.

Eric

Check the snap disk on the auger tube. It should have a reset button on it.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Check the snap disk on the auger tube. It should have a reset button on it.

Eric

Eric,

I've checked ever component...all the snap disks (even bypassing them with a jumper -- I had a bad snap disk on delivery of the stove -- first problem) and the vacuum sensor.

I'm down to either a bad feed motor or a bad main board. The voltage at the motor is zero when the call light is out, and only goes to 11 volts AC when the call light comes on. Not 110, 11.

I've gone though the service manual, as well as the various links people have sent me. I've eliminated everything obvious.

The low voltage is my concern -- I'm afraid that translates to a main board. Frankly, with all the trouble I've had with this unit I'm thinking about throwing at the dealer I bought it from and going down the road and buying a Harman. Its not worth $500 and who knows how long of a wait (feed motor is backordered 3 weeks)

Quadrafire support for the end user is abysmal at best. I've never regretted purchase as much as I do my quada-fire...

clearly you have your mind made up that you won't accept suggestions or advice so my advice to you is to do exactly what you said. Go get the Harman and put the Quad on craigslist. Good luck.

tjnamtiw said:
clearly you have your mind made up that you won't accept suggestions or advice so my advice to you is to do exactly what you said. Go get the Harman and put the Quad on craigslist. Good luck.

Excuse me. I've been told the same wrote advise numerous times. I've done that, and I did that before I asked the question. --- I know the trend is to post first, search later. I had already searched when I posted the question. I knew before hand it usually a snap disk or a cleaning problem. My question was answered by saying the voltage should be 110.

So -- we've determined mine isn't. SO I've got to ask...now what. I don't want to simply start throwing expensive and difficult to find parts at the problem. The part my dealer recommended is $169 and is on back order from the factory. That would be the feed motor. But that is assuming 11volt is what it takes to turn that motor. Why am I getting 11 volts?

Is there an easy check (besides lamp cords to the motor) and is there anything else (besides the things I've already checked as in your posts)

Maybe the problem is that the same qustion has been asked a hundred times, and every time this list of diagnostics checks fixed the problem. The list didn't help me, I'm down to parts substitution where i don't have the parts. I'm a new member to the forum, but I'm not a nube to the problem.

Read my question....what is the voltage supposed to be. Apparently it is supposed to be 110. Got it. OK. Since its not, I assume its time to consider a new control box. But before I drop $500 is there any reason the voltage would be so low.

Pardon me....it isn't your fault, I realize that. I'm annoyed with Quadafire -- the dealer I bought it from has been to my home often enough he recognizes my voice on the phone and didn't need my address when I scheduled his last visit. The quadrafire corporate phone jockey won't talk to end users. They send me to the dealer that has already been bamboozled.

I want my current stove to work. I don't relish the idea of dropping $4k on another stove, or spending $1000 trying to get what I have working. Please understand my frustration. Its single digits outside and I'm freezing my butt off.

I guess I should consider myself lucky to have received a warm "Welcome to the web site."

Geesch...

What model quad is this? I know some use 12v motors. The auger motor should have a tag with voltage ratings on it. Also the 12V auger looks different than the 120 volt. The motor on the auger gear box is round.

120v augers look like attached photo!

Attachments

• Pellet-corn-stove-auger-motor-series900ac.gif
    Pellet-corn-stove-auger-motor-series900ac.gif
    54.9 KB · Views: 301
j-takeman said:
What model quad is this? I know some use 12v motors. The auger motor should have a tag with voltage ratings on it. Also the 12V auger looks different than the 120 volt. The motor on the auger gear box is round.

I wish I could say more about the motor. The markings and model numbers are smeared beyond readability. But, and this might help, it looks just like the motor on the one of the support site URLs...

http://www.woodheatstoves.com/newblog/?p=38

I just dont have a test box :(

Bubba Gump said:
j-takeman said:

I wish I could say more about the motor. The markings and model numbers are smeared beyond readability. But, and this might help, it looks just like the motor on the one of the support site URLs...

http://www.woodheatstoves.com/newblog/?p=38

I just dont have a test box :(

SO its a 120v motor then. And your only getting 11v sounds like the control box or the vacuum switch is keeping the power off the feed motor. Have you checked the power to the vacuum switch? And have you tried jumping the switch temporarily to see if you get power to the auger motor? I wouldn't run the stove that way but you can at least eliminate the vacuum switch.

I don't have much with these newer quads. Just guessing.

Bubba, Due to your inability to do even a simple "lamp cord test" I'm afraid no one here will be able to get you to the point you need to be.

Sorry bout your luck.

j-takeman said:

Jay it's a Quad Castile.

Bubba Gump said:
A common problem. Ive checked all of the other suggestions. I'm down to a bad motor. Unfortunately, the service manuals don't specify what the voltages should be.

What voltage should I see at the feed motor connector for initial feed?

I see 11 volts when the call light is lit, millivolts when it not.

Thanks in advance...

What other suggestions?

If I can still count this was your first post.

It's 110+/-. Take the control box to the dealer or a friend that has a Quad and have them test the control box in one of there stoves. Do you get continuity through the feed motor? If so what is it? Do you have power at the orange wire on the snap disc, if so then your feed motor is bad. Oh yeah FYI Harman is owned by HHT which owns Quad, so when you have a problem the end result will be the same with your Harman. How old is this stove, if it is less than 2 years old the whole problem could of been taken care of under warranty.

master of smoke said:
Bubba, Due to your inability to do even a simple "lamp cord test" I'm afraid no one here will be able to get you to the point you need to be.

Sorry bout your luck.

Bubba I am sorry to agree with this but.....
Eric

kinsman stoves said:
master of smoke said:

Sorry bout your luck.

Bubba I am sorry to agree with this but.....
Eric

well, its not the "simplest" of tests...

the wiring is confusing, 2 white-1 black-1 red comes our of the feed motor
this isn't the std auger motor with two leads....

pop quiz guys, to bench test: which wires does he use?
does he need to cut off the capacitor or molex connectors to do so?
how many rpms should he get using each combo of possible wiring??
what does the red wire do?
does the capacitor need to be in line to "lamp cord" test this motor?

cut the guy some slack

Some people and problems are just better left to a service tech. I have found that most people on this forum are pretty handy and if you aren't then your problems are just better left to the service tech. Just my 2 cents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.