Castle Serenity backup power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JC1

Aug 27, 2020
New York
Wanted to see if anyone has expierence using a battery backup system. I was interested in the Sire Fire 512, but was told by manufacturer that it won’t work. Looking for uninterrupted power. Can’t anything out there are anybody that has a system for this stove. Any info would help. Thanks.

Did you come to any conclusions ? I am going to be looking for a back up battery for my Harman p68

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
There have been a number of systems recommended on this forum since I joined a couple of years ago. A search should turn them up.

I did search, but nothing for my exact stove. I talked with the manufacturer and they couldn’t even recommend anything which leaves me to believe they don’t want any liability should it cause the stove to malfunction. If you see anything please do contact me. There’s various options but I don’t want to risk damaging my stove trying them. For the meantime, I bought a generator

There have been a number of systems recommended on this forum since I joined a couple of years ago. A search should turn them up.

No, see post I responded to below. In the meantime I got a generator. As for seamless power, nothing as of now with my brand of stove. There’s a lot out there on Harmon stoves.

Did you come to any conclusions ? I am going to be looking for a back up battery for my Harman p68

No, see post I responded to below. In the meantime I got a generator. As for seamless power, nothing as of now with my brand of stove. There’s a lot out there on Harmon stoves.

For harman something even as simple as a tripplite aps 750 will work.. while this isn’t a true sine wave..there is a setting on the dip switches that will let it continue to run.

For the castle stove it may come down to .. do you need true sine wave for it to run? , something like the Renogy RNGINVT100012VC

There are many units out there that auto transfer to a battery during an outage that will run a stove for about 8 hours with a single deep cell battery.

For harman something even as simple as a tripplite aps 750 will work.. while this isn’t a true sine wave..there is a setting on the dip switches that will let it continue to run.

For the castle stove it may come down to .. do you need true sine wave for it to run? , something like the Renogy RNGINVT100012VC

There are many units out there that auto transfer to a battery during an outage that will run a stove for about 8 hours with a single deep cell battery.
In the video I posted about the former Harman Stove Sentry 512, he simply says “Sine Wave”. Which Sine Wave, Pure or Modified? I looked for the Tripplite 750. Can someone post a link?

So I use a Cyberpower Pure Sine Wave UPS to run my Harman during an outage. Readout shows how long it will last. Gives me time to connect my generator or run during a short outage that recently happened.. There are other posts on this subject..

I just put a cyberpower on mine as well... gives me time to get the generator fired up and warmed up

Bump**
I was looking up info for backup power for the Serenity Stove I just bought. The gas cooperative sent a letter saying that the gas supply may be unreliable during high-demand cold days this winter and to get a secondary heat source so I decided on a pellet stove. After some thinking, I actually feel very lucky we haven't had any longterm power outages when it was really cold while living here for the last 5 years because the electricity goes out here almost every wind storm and a few times in spring and summer it was out for 24 hours and once it was out for 3 days just last March but the temperature was mild fortunately. The only thing I found for serenity thus far is this.

Last edited:
A pure sinewave UPS should be able to run any stove, no matter the brand of stove.
A typical pellet stove consumes 300W to 500W when the ignitor is on, for 5 minutes or so, and once the stove is lit, and the ignitor turns off, they typically draw 50W to 80W, to run the combustion blower, room fan, and the auger motor.

Try a Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD. Note that the Cyberpower model number needs "PFC" in the model number to be a pure sinewave UPS (they also make non-pure sinewave models).

If you need more run-time, you can connect two larger 12V Gel Cells, or two 12V car batteries to the unit, rather than the 2 internal 12V 9AH gel cells. The batteries are connected in-series, for 24VDC. When the AC power returns, the UPS will automatically recharge the battery.

With the internal batteries (2 x 12V 9Ah) this should be able to run an already burning pellet stove for about 50 minutes. If you use two H6 AGM 12V car batteries (2 x 12V 70Ah), that should be able to run the stove for 7.8 times longer, for about 7.8 hours.

Last edited: