Castle serenity pellet stove New user ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dchase08

Dec 11, 2017
New York
I'm first year pellet stove user. Stove is all factory settings. I feel like I'm going threw pellets fast. I'm burning green team hardwood premium pellets. Flame looks good and all just burning fuel quick I think. Any setting changes or air flow to helo or whatever is helpful thank you.

How many sqft are you heating? Insulated? How many pellets in how many hours? Not enough info in your post to help you.

Assumimg pellets at 8000 btu per lb. if you're using 24k btu/hr, which is about 75% of the stove output.... 3lbs/hr . Hopper hold barely 40 lbs so 1/2 of which would be 20 lbs.... should last about 7 hrs. Hope this helps

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Thank you should the air flow to the burn pot be pretty close to closed? The flame is nice orange yellow and 4 to c inches over pot. Put when pellets drop it is sparks and flame goes down alittle then burns back up.

Thank you should the air flow to the burn pot be pretty close to closed? The flame is nice orange yellow and 4 to c inches over pot. Put when pellets drop it is sparks and flame goes down alittle then burns back up.

Spunds about right. You might want to try increasing the room blower speed some...might help get a little more heat, and less out the vent. As long as flames are bright and dancing. You should be close. Make sure to clean your burn pot regularly. Mine needs scraped every 12 hrs or so.

Actually sounds like you got things pretty close. What heat number are you running on? Like mikkeeh mentions, check what voltage your "blower" is set at and if needed, bump it up 5 volts to get more heat away from the stove and see how things go. If no improvement, go back 5 volts etc. But it does seem a pattern on here about the Serenity to close the air inlet gate a bit from factory setting.

My room blower setting is
This is with no air flow adjustment I still thing I need to close it off some. Or do you think I need to adjust the room blower to

I would start with closing the damper in small increments until you see the flame start to get lazy then open it back up just enough to get a nice flame.

I think your air intake setting is fine. I would increase your room air fan speed. Keep in mind you have blower settings for each heat level. I think I have mine set to 105 for levels 1,2, and 3.
If your flame gets lazy...open your air intake a little. If the flame is lazy..adjust the air flow gate before you play with the fan speed.

mikkeeh are you confusing the room blower with combustion blower because adjusting the room blower isn't going to change the flame

mikkeeh are you confusing the room blower with combustion blower because adjusting the room blower isn't going to change the flame

I understand that. In his original post he was concerned about how many pellets he was using. From his description, his flame (combustion blower) seemed fine. My suggestion was to increase the speed of the room blower..thus moving more heat while consuming the same amount of fuel. More heat....same amount of fuel.....better efficiency....thus addressing his question about how many pellets he was burning.

gotcha just confused me when you said if the flame gets lazy , sounding like adjusting the room blower would change the flame

Dchase08: Look at Rich2500’s signature line. Check out his video of Serenity burning. Will give you a good idea of what your flame should look like.

How do i know that my exhaust settings are good or not I closed my air intake a bit flame j think looks good
Look at Rich2500 video. That’s what your flame should look like

wait until the 1 min mark though, the first min the stove is still in start up.

My flame goes up stays strong for a bite then slowly drops down and pellets drop in then it goes back up again anything I need to change my air gate I closed a bit from factory and turned up room blower on settings 1 2 3 to 105 I'm not sure if my exhaust blower settings are good they are factory settings

That's normal for the flame too fluctuate. What you want is a nice bright lively flame but you don't want pellets blowing out of the burn pot, Sparks are normal when pellets drop though. I tune my stoves so that the exhaust blower runs as slow as possible but maintain a nice flame. The faster the exhaust runs the more heat that is being sucked up the vent. From the sounds of it your real close with your settings so you could try tweaking things slightly and see if you can get anymore efficiency out of it. I would average 18 hrs on a hopper chocked full to the top and running on heat level 1 only so with using levels 2 and 3 your in the ballpark.

Hoping the damper is my issue. Flame is bouncing off the ceiling of the stove and thermostat is saying it's 90 degrees(definitely not that in the room). I've been going through a bag of pellets every 8 hours only running on setting one.

Does anyone know is there a way to slow the auger down? Pellets drop every 4 1/2 seconds. Seems unnecessary. House is 1000 sq ft and very well insulated.

Hoping the damper is my issue. Flame is bouncing off the ceiling of the stove and thermostat is saying it's 90 degrees(definitely not that in the room). I've been going through a bag of pellets every 8 hours only running on setting one.

Does anyone know is there a way to slow the auger down? Pellets drop every 4 1/2 seconds. Seems unnecessary. House is 1000 sq ft and very well insulated.

By thermostat, you mean a remote one mounted on a wall, or the control panel temp reading?
Almost sounds like you have no stove fans operating or something. How much exhaust chimney is connected and is it clean?