Cat stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
This might be just an issue with burning a cat stove with temps only in the 40's at night and not getting enough draft.

Do you need to have a little flame going with your stove while the cat is engaged?

I have been getting blow backs when the flame goes out and the smoke builds up in the firebox (cat running at 1000), giving it a little more air has fixed the issue, it seems to want a little flame to help ignite the smoke in the box and not have a build up.

I'd say you nailed it, mellow. With our stove, in these mild temps, we have to have at least a little flame in the firebox. Otherwise, tendency to back-puff like you said. Not so much in colder weather.

I'm able to run my BK on low with no issues in warmer temps. Sounds like a draft issue due to the warmer temps.

You did fine. Many times we run the stove with no flame and have no problem with it. Chimney stays clean too so the cat is doing what it is intended to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.