Catalyst

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
Ok I annoyingly for help yet again. I purchased a replacement cat from a place in tenn. It came with some sort of wrap that is suppose to expand to hold it in place. I installed as directed but the cat appears not to be real tight in place. I guess I need more of that wrap. Is it dangerous to run with the cat loose even tho it's in. Were talking in but loose maybe a 16th of an inch on the top????

The wrap is a gasket that will expand and seal once you light your next fire.

I burned 3 small / medium fires. It's still loose.

You might get more answers on the Hearth Room forum instead of the wood shed. I don't have any idea how to answer your question, but my guess is it is not dangerous to have some smoke bypass the cat, just inefficient (you lose some heat by not burning all the smoke).

Ok. I just got off withe the company I bought the cat from. They said it's ok to burn as long as it's in place. ( even if it's loose. ). They are mailing me mire wrap to tighten it up.

That is good to know.

The only thing I could see happening would be some smoke passing through that didn't get reburned. I doubt you would get too much if any at all though.

Status
Not open for further replies.