Caught a Hawk today......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
He or She was just watching and waiting for something to eat...

Attachments

• hawk2.jpg
    hawk2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 736
  • hawk3.jpg
    hawk3.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 745
  • hawk4.jpg
    hawk4.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 731
Nice pic's web. I also love them birds of pray. We have Eagles and Osprey on the lake here. Majestic creatures!

Nice!!! A juvenile Red tail. hatched this spring. I think she just ate. Look how much her crop is sticking out in front!

Yeah they are real cute. Unless you have them nesting in your woods in front of the house every year. And one knocks the hat off your head in your back yard because you are too close to the nest with the young'uns in it at the edge of your yard. You start thinking shot gun for a little while.

Is that the Sakonnet River? Great shot. I can't get over that bulging crop. She must have had a big rabbit or something. Hang in there baby girl! If you can just pull through the winter on those fat AI rabbits, the odds are stacked in your favor.

BrotherBart said:
Yeah they are real cute. Unless you have them nesting in your woods in front of the house every year. And one knocks the hat off your head in your back yard because you are too close to the nest with the young'uns in it at the edge of your yard. You start thinking shot gun for a little while.

Cute till they kill your chickens and end your fresh egg ahmlet 4 B-fast!

BrotherBart said:

Try having your boss tell you that you have to go find the goshawk nest. When I first found the chick I whispered "don't tell your mom." Sometimes I still hear KAKAKAKAKAKAKAK in my nightmares.

Kind of like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQLcUQreKZk It's worth watching the whole video because she nails him at least five times :p
Grows hair on your chest!

A-cord-ingLEE said:

Meh. Unless you have slow bantams with no cover, that big buteo doesn't have the maneuverability. I have a nesting pair of red shouldered hawks in my neighborhood. The only constant threat to my chickens is canus domesticus.

Kewl pics Craig. Lot of those in my area.
One was focused on my shih tzu when I first
got her (4lbs). I kept her on a short leash and still
do when I see the hawks hovering above.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
A-cord-ingLEE said:

Meh. Unless you have slow bantams with no cover, that big buteo doesn't have the maneuverability. I have a nesting pair of red shouldered hawks in my neighborhood. The only constant threat to my chickens is canus domesticus.

Out here it's procyon lotor getting the chicks. Though bald eagles are pretty hard on the local water fowl.

Nice pictures Craig.

Reminds me of a couple days ago. I was about 25' up in a pin oak and there were 3 of them circling me! I wondered if I looked like lunch to them. lol They did stay around for a long time too.

Almost every year I'll have a point where I am sitting really still in the treestand and a hawk will come right at me, pulling up at the last minute. Scares you the first time or two that it happens but then it is funny. They will usually sit on a tree close to you for a while after that, probably trying to figure out what you are. I wear a face mask so that probably is what deceives them. Also, they probably don't see many folks sitting way up in a tree.

Great shot , they are cool. lol i dont mind Hawks takin my chickens i love to watch em work. canus domesticus on the other hand has to be careful because coltus kaboomicus is watching lol

Great pics.

Gotta love them birds. Here are pictures of two birds in my life. The baby Red Shouldered Hawk fell out of the 70 foot high nest in the woods right behind my house. The parents abandoned it as obvious from my observations from a distance. They would fly right by the baby on the ground and continued to do so for about 24 hours before I took it to a wildlife rescue. The baby hawk was under weight and dehydrated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 202
mtcates said:
Gotta love them birds. Here are pictures of two birds in my life. The baby Red Shouldered Hawk fell out of the 70 foot high nest in the woods right behind my house. The parents abandoned it as obvious from my observations from a distance. They would fly right by the baby on the ground and continued to do so for about 24 hours before I took it to a wildlife rescue. The baby hawk was under weight and dehydrated.

good work!

i like the pics of the hawk zoomed out, give you a better idea how big these birds really are.

Status
Not open for further replies.