Caulking around the fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cards66

May 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I need to seal up the one side of fireplace on the inside of the house. I am moving a insert into this fireplace this winter. Can I just use regular caulk around it or should I use Fire Block Sealant?

I'm not understanding what you are trying to seal. Where is the gap that you trying to seal and how large is it?

I have gaps in between the fireplace and the drywall that I need to fill in as there is a draft there. I didn't know if I needed the fireplace mortar since I am not bonding firebricks together but rather the fireplace and the inside walls of the house.

cards66 said:
I have gaps in between the fireplace and the drywall that I need to fill in as there is a draft there. I didn't know if I needed the fireplace mortar since I am not bonding firebricks together but rather the fireplace and the inside walls of the house.
Hmmmm. In that case, I take back the Rutland comment, (I think). Sounds like drywall compound would be acceptable. But, I gotta wonder where the draft is coming from ultimately. (Assuming it's a significant draft)

Well last night I had my attic fa on and there was a pretty significant draft at the bottom of the wall. I think some of the dry way has crumbled behind the base that is run up the wall by the fireplace. I think that is where the biggest draft is. However, there is some air coming in as far as about 4 feet up the wall. I just want ot get it all tight. I had just stuffed rags in the space up until now. Since we are going to fire up the fireplace this winter I didn't thing the rags were a good idea to keep them there.

Perhaps try sealing it carefully on both the exterior and interior. For the exterior use a flexible caulk designed for the job. DAP makes some good flex caulks like Alex Plus or DynaFlex. On the interior, there's often a slight movement between dissimilar surfaces, especially if they heat up and expand at different rates. I would be concerned that something like drywall mud or Rutland would crack over time. It may require a paintable silicone (Alex Plus) or Poly-SeamSeal on the interior crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.