Cawley Model 500?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RReese

Nov 30, 2008
Central Washington State
Hi Everyone, and thanks for putting together such a great forum!

I'm new here, but have done a quick search, and didn't find any previous discussions on this stove. We have the opportunity to get one, free (it's a bit rusty but we can fix that), and are wondering if there's any info out there on them? I've found some info on the 4- and 600 models, but not on the 500. I did find a place that sells parts so that was encouraging! This one is made after the Cawley/Lemay split, and if I recall had an '80's certification plate on the back.

We were planning on getting an Jotul Black Bear, but aren't sure we'll be happy with that configuration (and the small firebox opening), so were looking at options. But if this Cawley stove is efficient and is capable of similar btu's, it sure would be nice to save the $1600!

Thanks in advance for any opinions or info!

Regina

Sound like an old air tight stove. Probably eats alot of wood. You may be better off with an EPA stove. In the long run you will recoup that $1600 in heating bills and firewood.

Welcome Regina. I've never seen one of these stoves, but it seems you have found an interesting, classic stove. If it's basically sound and not beaten or shot, I'd try a restoration. If you do, please take lots of pictures and post back .

Here's a little history on the company:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Cawley_400/

Thought I'd update. First of all, thank you for the info on the Cawley.

We ended up getting the Jotul Black Bear, at least for the time being. We just didn't have time right now to put the work into the old Cawley we found (pretty heavily rusted) to get it up and running, and with the lack of info on how well it would work, we went with a tried-and-true. Eventually we'll restore the Cawley, if for no other reason than it's a beautiful piece.

As for the Black Bear, so far we love it. It's been burning non-stop since we installed it about 3 weeks ago. It heats our front rooms almost too well (our dogs have been panting!) we're going to work on a circulation system to get the heat to the rear of the house better (fyi we're just a 900 square foot, poorly insulated 80 yr old house in central aka cold and snowy Washington). We're burning dry tamarack and lodge pole, and so far I've only had to empty the ashes once, so I'm impressed. It won't quite go 8 hours on a fill up, I do have to get up and add a log about 3 or 4 am, but I usually wake up about then anyway so it's not been a problem. Even when it has just about gone out, a little stirring of the ashes usually flares enough embers to start again easily.

The only downside really is the firebox layout - while I love the looks of the stove, occasionally it's a wrestling match to get the logs shoved in long-ways. I can now see really the advantages of the more typical "sideways" layout. I don't think a bigger firebox would necessarily be better, heck as I said it just about overheats us as it is. But the "cigar" shape can be frustrating. Just a little.

So thanks again for the help. And I will update should we ever tackle the rehab of the cool old Cawley!

Regina

BTW, we found the Jotul on sale for $1299, so we were thrilled - normally our timing isn't that good!

Good choice - the 500 is a neat little stove in style, but I sold a few and burned one of them and was not too happy. It will make a great conversation piece and would work OK with a very strong chimney.

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 621
Status
Not open for further replies.