cb1200i (outside air kit)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAV1

Feb 11, 2010
Northern, NJ
Is it worth it to install one on this unit? also does anyone know price or a place to order online? how complicated is the install?

The OAK on the freestanding comes in under the pedastal. I can only imagine that it will help performance...

How old is your home?

How well insulated is it?

Do you have a Block-off plate installed in your fireplace?

Also, a pic would help. I own a CB 1200. But the OAK on yours might come in different. A Quad has many leaks in the Air intake (On the Freestanding). OAK comes in a hole and goes under the main floor pedastal. This Pedastal has Holes for bolting the stove to a skid for shipping. The grout lines in the tile are shallow enough for air to leak under, if the stove is not running. Also the plenum that takes the air from the very bottom of the stove to the area under the burn pot (Where the ignitor is) has many seams that are not sealed.

The insert may require the exact Quad kit. But I imagine if your Wise in the ways of fabricating. That anything will do. Some people use flexible exhaust tubing from Auto Zone. I am going to use 3" Solid Exhaust pipe for my Woodstove in the basement. Any way to get outside (Cold) air to the combustion area, so it does not use the "Warm Air" in your house. Is a Plus in my book. If your house is older (15 yrs or older), and not sealed tight, then most would say you dont need it. .

Have you researched OAK vs No OAK on here... A simple search will bring up enough reading for days.

PAV1 said:
how complicated is the install?

The intake for the combustion air is on the bottom right side of the unit near where the power connection/thermostat connection is. There is a place for the oak flex tubing to go thru the zero clearance shroud directly behind the combustion air intake on the back of the unit. How you get it to outside air from there depends on the local install conditions.

cbe6a166.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.