CEABBE Pellets....new here in Northern Maine...WOW..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
Bought a couple of bags of Crabbe all softwood pellets...anyone else have used these,,,I swear by these...very low ash...great heat and they smell great. Sold in Canadian metric ton here,at $315.00...I think it is a 70 bag load. These are the lightest pellets in color I have ever seen.. My Thelin loves them...not much soot at all on the glass ( this has always been an issue with the Thelin)..and no jams!!

Have not used them. Where did you get them? Picture of the bag?

I know Rocky's carries them, as I called last week to see what they had in stock.

How much was Rocky's charging?

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe it was lower than the LaCrete's (which I think were $299), so I think the Crabbe's were $289 or $279. I'd call them to be sure.

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe it was lower than the LaCrete's (which I think were $299), so I think the Crabbe's were $289 or $279. I'd call them to be sure.

$269.

But is that $269 for 70 bags or 50 bags per ton?

Short ton. 50 bags.

Just picked up three bags of these today to give a try. Got them at Rocky's in Augusta for $5 and change, they are as reported $269 a ton. I will report back after trying them.

The Crabbe's I bought at Rocky's had heavy black ash like a hardwood. They didn't burn like any of the other softwoods I burn (Okies, LaCrete's, etc.).

I may try another few bags, but I don't like the heavy black ash - it tends to build up and block the lip of my Harman's burn pot. Other softwoods, with light fluffy ash, tend to perform better. Otherwise, I have to keep opening my stove to remove the ash from the lip.

And yeah - i said I like my ash light & fluffy when it's on my lip...

Reactions: fmsm
The Crabbe's I bought at Rocky's had heavy black ash like a hardwood. They didn't burn like any of the other softwoods I burn (Okies, LaCrete's, etc.).

I may try another few bags, but I don't like the heavy black ash - it tends to build up and block the lip of my Harman's burn pot. Other softwoods, with light fluffy ash, tend to perform better. Otherwise, I have to keep opening my stove to remove the ash from the lip.

And yeah - i said I like my ash light & fluffy when it's on my lip...

How do they compare to the MWP softies?

How do they compare to the MWP softies?

I think the MWP softies burn cleaner. As for heat output, I'm not sure. I'll have to test over the next few days when it's cold (I still have 2-3 bags - but if it's really cold, I'm putting the Okies back in)

I just finished burning three bags. Nice pellet IMHO. First very nice thick bag, which is important as I have to move them to into my basement and I always see to rip a few bags. The fines were very low and the pellets smell kind of like the Oakies but not as strong. As far as ash, I would agree with movemaine it is heavier and black, but the amount of ash is very low and much less than the MWP softies. As far as heat output, I would rat them as good, not as good as say Cubex or the other higher costing pellets but their good and in my opinion slightly better than the MWP softies. I would buy them again depending on what else is on sale in the spring. Overall I would give them a 3.75 or 4 out of 5.

Found this old thread on them which give more information about the pellet mill looks like they started up in 2010. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-plant-this-year-for-eastern-canada-crabbes.55519/

Status
Not open for further replies.