Cedar lower temps?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
The other day, I fired up the stove because it was 'cool' out.

I loaded it up with splits of Eastern Red Cedar and came back a bit later. I didn't work on the stove, but rather let it do its thing, but I noticed I didn't get over 425F. Last year, with questionable wood supply, I could get the stove up to 600F when the wood was dry - without even trying. As a matter of fact, I had to watch the air so it would stay low.

Could the reduced draft of it not being cold outside have anything to do with this? Could the fuel source?

Thanks - I'm obviously still a rookie, but learning (i hope).

Could be draft, could be not so seasoned wood or both.

Is your chimney clean and stove pipe? Do you have a moisture reading on your wood?

Good luck,
Bill

leeave96 said:
Could be draft, could be not so seasoned wood or both.

Is your chimney clean and stove pipe? Do you have a moisture reading on your wood?

Good luck,
Bill

Yes, this was the first fire since my chimney and stove pipe clean. Tested three splits, all hovering around 15%. I didn't test the rest, and I did put a larger piece that maybe wasn't seasoned as well - maybe.

brianbeech said:
The other day, I fired up the stove because it was 'cool' out.

I loaded it up with splits of Eastern Red Cedar and came back a bit later. I didn't work on the stove, but rather let it do its thing, but I noticed I didn't get over 425F. Last year, with questionable wood supply, I could get the stove up to 600F when the wood was dry - without even trying. As a matter of fact, I had to watch the air so it would stay low.

Could the reduced draft of it not being cold outside have anything to do with this? Could the fuel source?

Thanks - I'm obviously still a rookie, but learning (i hope).

-- Draft is weather dependent
-- Cedar burns fast, and not a ton of BTU's : http://thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html

That thermometer in your avatar. I own one. Over the summer the dang spring sprung and now it always reads 300. Pretty lame, I liked the looks of the meter.

Test your thermo in a 400 degree oven for accuracy. They can go bad (or not be "right" in the first place. As said above, draft can be affected by weather/wind/downdraft/temp. Give it another shot and see if you can replicate the burn. My guess is that it was just "one of those days".

Jags said:
Test your thermo in a 400 degree oven for accuracy. They can go bad (or not be "right" in the first place. As said above, draft can be affected by weather/wind/downdraft/temp. Give it another shot and see if you can replicate the burn. My guess is that it was just "one of those days".

I did just what you mentioned. Did it to 375 though and it was right on the money. I'm hoping it was just "one of those days". :) I'll give it another shot soon.

Cedar doesn't burn any cooler than other woods. I have found a few bad pieces of firewood in every stack, but in general there is nothing about cedar that makes a cool fire. If anything it burns fast and hot compared to hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.