Cedar today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
It was in the yard 20 years ago when I moved here. The thing was ugly. It had a couple other volunteer varieties growing up through it such as ash and a dang multiflower rose. My wife has wanted it out of here a couple year now. Well, its a win/win. The base stump wasn't all that big but slightly over 16 inches because the chain bar wouldn't quite get it without hitting the other side. Its all c/s/s now. Anything over an inch in diameter was saved for next years kindling so now you know why this entire project including cleanup was most of the afternoon. At any rate, I have an awesome smelling pile of wood! Part of the reason it took so long was I had to admire every other piece! A couple chunks are in the house now just for the aroma. Moisture content was low for a fresh cut at 18 to 25% so I might sneak some of it into the stove about January if it dries as fast as I'm assuming it could. As light as the big chunks are I'm guessing the BTU output will be similar to pine and no where near my hardwoods.

Smell is a highly underrated characteristic of firewood. There are other woods that make kindling almost as good as cedar kindling, but none that smell the same.

Wood Duck said:
Smell is a highly underrated characteristic of firewood. There are other woods that make kindling almost as good as cedar kindling, but none that smell the same.

I have a lot of standing dead, red cedar. Long dead... no bark, few branches, outer wood is almost gray and crumbling. Moisture measures no more that 10% at cutting. Low BTUs. Great smell. I value it as prime early/late shoulder wood or kindling.

I recall one time when I was sawing lumber and a customer brought a load of cedar. We cut them into mostly 4 x 4's. That was a pleasant day sawing for sure! Even the offbearers loved it because cedar is so light compared to oaks and maples.

Love the smell of cedar . . . right up there with cherry and apple . . . of course splitting these types of woods does slow up some as I keep stopping to sniff the wood.

It's nice to have some cedar in the log basket in the lounge, it tends to stay there until the smell wears off :)

It has its uses alright...not just fuel or kindling either :coolsmirk:

Attachments

• easternredcedar31211.jpg
    easternredcedar31211.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 161
  • husky288xp with cedar slab.jpg
    husky288xp with cedar slab.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 147
That's sweet Thistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.