Cedar...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Alright fella's

I have three down cedar trees in my yard, all down for over a year.

Cut em all up and stack them away from the rest of the wood and use them as kindling? Or stack with everything else and just burn away.

Hey, it's free wood for me :)

Cedar burns great.

Kindling or regular splits.

I have over 4 cords of the stuff. It`s a pyro`s dream come true :coolcheese:

Burn lots of Cedar; no problem. Not bad heat/burn times on the heartwood.

I'm not sure if the left coast cedar burns any different than the cedar here on the right coast . . . or what your availability of hardwood is like . . . but here in Maine I tend to favor the cedar (eastern white) for use as kindling . . . although the gnarly, knotty pieces I often leave in firewood sized pieces . . . good for the shoulder season fires.

The nice clear splits with no knots are really easy to split further into kindling and the splits that are knotty burn great just as they are.

Cedar is good stuff for fast hot fires to kick things off. Dries real fast too.

Status
Not open for further replies.