Ceiling fans on 14' ceiling with in floore radiant ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Hi, y'all
Building a shop with a 14' cieling. It will have in floore radiant heating. Are cieling fans nessasary to push heat down. Also I've always installed cellulose insulation to an R - 60 . Is that much insulation still
nessasary with in floore heat or could I reduce that some and still not have much heat loss ?

You can't hardly ever have to much insulation, though good air sealing is probably even more beneficial than high R-values... However you might or might not need the ceiling fans - I'd probably put in the wiring / supports for them (which you probably need for lighting anyway) and not put the fans in until you see if you have enough heat up near the ceiling to justify them... (or if you need them for cooling breezes in the summer time...)

Gooserider

I have the better part of 18 foot cathedral ceilings in our log home with radiant heat, and found the ceiling fans destroy the gentle heat from the radiant heat. They actually cool the place off. So I never use them in the winter. Also a friend installed radiant heat for a fire department. A month later they called him to say they couldn't keep the place warm. Come to find out, they were running a bunch of ceiling fans. Turned them off and they had plenty of heat.

woodsmaster, I agree with gooserider - you may or may not need the ceiling fans but it is a good idea to install the ceiling boxes and wiring now, while you are in the construction mode. It is a lot easier to do during construction than having to remodel later. A reminder about the electric box needed for a ceiling fan: the box MUST be UL rated to support a ceiling fan. Any electric supply house will have the necessary box. Good luck. John_M

woodsmaster said:
Also I've always installed cellulose insulation to an R - 60 . Is that much insulation still
nessasary with in floore heat or could I reduce that some and still not have much heat loss ?
Depends what you mean by necessary. Assuming you're talking about insulation in the ceiling here: the cost of cellulose is pretty low & considering the hassle factor of adding more later I'd go to R-60 if I had the space to fill that high. It's worth doing right the 1'st time IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.