Ceiling Grate Installed and Working Well To Give Even Heat Ciruculation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read here for quite a while about cutting a hole in the ceiling to allow heat to circulate and boy did it work well.
We have 2 1/2 story 2500 sqft med. well insulated home trying to heat in Edmonton Alberta Canada not easy.
Cutting the hole is like having 2 stair wells. Heat goes up the hole on the back of the house and cold goes down the stair well on the front of the house creating a cycle.
Before the all the heat had to go up the stairs and the cold air come down the stairs. The 2nd floor was always cold.
Now the 2nd floor is as hot as I want by regulating the flow through the hole. In fact the front of the house where the stairwell returns cold air is too cold, better near the stove vs up stairs though.
I cut 2' x 3' like I have seen in old old houses but this was too large so I covered half with glass to restrict the air flow. It looks great you can see right up through the salvage iron railing to the second floor like a vaulted ceiling. My brotherin law, a fire inspector, said it is now worse than having 2 stairwells.
Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• Picture0183.jpg
    Picture0183.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Picture0178.jpg
    Picture0178.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 202
  • Picture0179.jpg
    Picture0179.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 213
  • Picture0182.jpg
    Picture0182.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 235
Nice...
Thought about doing that years ago but for some reason I get pretty good flow up my stairway.
2500sq.ft. two story colonial.
Almost to warm some nights up there.
My wife sometimes just runs the e-furnace blower to equalize the hose temps.
I don't know if it works..but she claims it does..and if she's happy..I'm happy..lol.

I like your layout.

Also thought about something similar - never had to go there though..

Status
Not open for further replies.