Cement/Composite Exterior Shingles..Staining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Just got done unloading 3 trips in the F250's bed (1/2 full), a gift from a neighbor who had "leftovers". Man, those suckers get heavy , fast. Makes moving firewood an easy thing.

I plan on redoing the front of the house.

I've done some research. They'll need to be stained. The house is basically cedar shake.

Any nods on stains any one has had experience with? Seems you have to brush it on in 2 - 3 layers?

Any help appreciated !

Wow, I'm tired.... misspelled exterior, lol !

Thank you, Rick !

We used to be able to correct titles, I guess not now?

I know...report to the Boss :)

You could add an 'r' to libety.

Mis spells and typos don't bother me. Especially when they are also comical, intended or not.

Well, after this rain, they are pretty much clean.

Gotta get a pic.

Maybe Murph has the time during the day.

not to rain on your parade but
alot of cement shingles contain asbestos (transite)
might want to check into that before cutting them

These are the newer cement fiber shingles. No asbestos. Thanks for the heads up, how ever :)

Try to find out the make and then see what the manufacturer recommends for both installation details and finish.

I know someone who built a house with the Hardiplank cementitious siding. Builder was meticulous, but installed it in the same way you'd do wood siding, and it ended up having problems with retention of moisture that affected paint stability, and even swelling/ spalling of parts of the siding. Turned out that there were fine details of how flashing, places where it met trim or roof valleys, etc., needed to be subtly but significantly different than with wood siding.

Hardie, to their credit, helped with cost of remedial measures and replacement of affected areas.

Nothing wrong with the good quality cementitious products, but they may have special considerations different from other materials.

These are the newer cement fiber shingles. No asbestos. Thanks for the heads up, how ever :)
There is still a silicosis hazard from inhaled dust generated during cutting. It is much better to use some type of shear than a method that generates a lot of airborne dust during the cutting of the material.

The way to cut Hardie siding is to use a razor blade to score them, and then snap them. You can also use a masonry blade on a skill saw, but wear a dust mask. Score and snap is a lot earier though.

I have one of these (SS404 model).
http://www.pactool.us/snappershear/
They are expensive, but if you're going to put up Hardie or similar siding, it will pay for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.