Central Boiler Questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B.

Feeling the Heat
Feb 27, 2008
SW Wisconsin
A local friend of mine recently bought a Central Boiler 5036... I tried to steer him toward a gasifier and storage, but it didn't happen.

My first impression, looking the unit over, was that (at least) the build quality appeared quite good. From what I've read here and elsewhere, CB has a decent rep, and their products are reliable and long lasting.

Is that about right? (It's mainly curiosity that motivates my question.)

I just hope - efficiency, environment and 'aesthetics' aside - he didn't make a disastrously bad choice.

My friend says it smokes rather little, but I don't necessarily think he's a good judge and I haven't seen the setup in operation myself yet. His nearest neighbor is maybe half a mile away (as the crow flies) and isn't likely troubled.

Comments about the overall product quality... and the quantity of smoke?

Thanks much.

Peter B.

-----

My sister has been heating her two family house in Lake placid, NY for almost three years now with a CB OWB. My brother in law in PA has been heating his house for two years with his CB OWB. They both like them and are saving money on oil, especialy since both brother in laws own land with wood on it. they buy about half hard wood and cut thier own soft.

So far my 5036 has been running well...it does smoke a lot on refill, but for the most part isn't as bad as I thought it would. Have good seasoned wood to go in it too.

Having researched what kind of OWB to buy I believe the Central Boiler to be the best or next to it.

I have another brand OWB and have it only because I got it for next to nothing and it turned out to be great. But I still compare it to a Central product.

It seems to me that there are no rights and wrongs as long as it works for the person making the choice. Sometimes there might be other or maybe even better options..... My brother in law uses a 6048 and does very well with it. He has radiant heat and burns 6 cord per year for DHW and heating a 3000 sq ft house. I also went with CB and their new E-classic and am very happy with that. I will use about the same amount of wood as he does in an older house with forced hot air. The nice thing is neither of us will use a drop of oil this winter and will be very warm. We both use good hardwood and his does not smoke as much as his neighbors wood stoves, mine hardly produces any smoke. I think people overlook the "OWB" often because of their reputation and dont realize there are options for gassification with OWB which do work well. (so far at least :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.