SolarAndWood Posted By SolarAndWood, Mar 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM

1. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2008
    Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Should be ready to start closing walls up in the coming months and trying to make sure I stuff everything in them before I do it. Any thoughts on whether central vac should be on the list?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jeff_t

jeff_t
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2008
    Loc:
    SE MI
    My sister absolutely loves theirs. It's been 14, maybe 15, years, and they just recently had to replace something minor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hogwildz

Hogwildz
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 3, 2006
    Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    I have it, came with the house when I bought it. I like it. Just be careful dragging the hose against base mouldings.
    I didn't run it in the addition and wish I had, but then figured I would just install a unit in the garage also, which I can run piping and outlets to the addition rooms.

4. fire_man

fire_man
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 6, 2009
    Loc:
    North Eastern MA
    Reasons I really like our central vac:

More power than a portable Vac
    Much less frequent emptying of canisters
    Filthy Vacuum air exhausts outside
    Less weight to drag around the house
    Nice option when you go to sell the house
    Fun to chase dog around the house with long hose

5. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2008
    Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    lol, sounds like just what we need, the pit bull my wife brought home from the side of the Interstate isn't intimidated at all by the cheap and cheerful vacs. Sounds like this is a no brainer as long as I have the house opened up anyway? We tend to be pretty rough on the house and life in general, so I am kind of looking for something with shop vac like performance and durability.

6. bostonbaked

bostonbaked
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 27, 2008
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    And the # 1 reason I love my central is it's sooo much more quiet than any other vac when in use.

7. Uncle

Uncle
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2011
    Loc:
    Jersey Shore
    Definite Yay........Had one in my old house and miss it very much.

8. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's ironic. We live in a quiet neighborhood and I know exactly when my neighbor's central vac is running. It's quite loud even though it's about 400 yards away.

9. fossil

fossil
    Accidental Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Loc:
    Bend, OR
    If it's the "wired" flavor...so when you plug the hose into the wall you're also plugging in a power connector, then a power driven roller brush will work with the system. That's the only way I would have one. I've had two different central vac systems in two different houses...one with the power feature and one without. Without, then the best you can get for a roller brush to help clean carpets is an air turbine operated thing which is basically worthless. If you've got a powered system, you can actually do some cleaning. If you have no carpets or rugs to clean, then don't bother with the powered system. Yes, it's nice to just carry a hose from room to room. If I were building a house, I really doubt that I'd spend my $$$ on it, unless I just had a bunch of money I didn't know what to do with. %-P Rick

10. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2008
    Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    This house rebuild has been a pretty good $$$ bleed for a few years now. Just don't want to miss something while I am closing up that I regret the rest of my life because knock on wood this is the last house I am doing.

11. flhpi

flhpi
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 13, 2009
    Loc:
    Southern Ohio
    My old house had one and it was great. My neighbor asked me to please not use it before 0900 or after 2100 hours though. The outlet pointed towards his house. The previous owners were early morning cleaners I guess.

12. fire_man

fire_man
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 6, 2009
    Loc:
    North Eastern MA
    Mine was easily installed after the house was already built. It's two stories, both floors have the vacuum service.

Why not just install the plastic pipes and wires before closing up, then if you decide later add the power unit and accessories?

Ashful likes this.
  13. seige101

seige101
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2008
    Loc:
    Western MA
    At the very least rough it in for it it's very cheap to do!

14. Hogwildz

Hogwildz
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 3, 2006
    Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    X1, Def get the electric set up!

15. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2008
    Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    That's the plan with most of the systems. Rough them in and worry about the big spend later. I am trying to nail this stuff down up front as the house has almost no interior walls and I want to keep the shell as tight as possible.

16. bostonbaked

bostonbaked
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 27, 2008
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    That is very true. I don't like it when I'm working in the yard and the wife kicks it on, very annoying. But inside it's quiet compared to any other vac we've used.

17. stee6043

stee6043
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2008
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    We have it and love it. I'm not 100% certain but I believe Wal-Vac brand (which we have) units are made right here in Michigan.

18. btuser

btuser
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2009
    Loc:
    Principality of Pontinha
    All these reasons. The pipe is cheap, the canister+head are 80% the cost. Do it now. Get a hose sock and it helps with the baseboards. I don't think its any easier than a portable or any cheaper when you figure I spend $1000 for the one we've got.

19. jimbom

jimbom
    Combustion Analyzer 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2010
    Loc:
    Missouri Ozarks
    Self installed ours when we built in 1990-91. Cost $400 and have outlets on both floors and in the garage. Very powerful and has not required any maintenance. We did buy a new set of tools for the end of the hose. Excellent value.

Have an electrical outlet in the vicinity of the vac outlet in case you want the option of a powered unit. Our unit is in the garage and can be operated with the garage door closed if noise is a problem.

20. Roxburyeric

Roxburyeric
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 6, 2008
    Loc:
    Western Connecticut
    I put it in my first house and my current house - easy to do when walls are open. We love it. We have hardwood floors everywhere except bedrooms. The Bedrooms have berber (sp.)type carpet and we also have some area rugs. None of the rugs are shaggy. We mostly use the regular attachment and have an air powered sweeper, which works great for us. We do have a good powerful unit so maybe that helps, but I couldn't justify spending the extra $ for the power-head. In fact in our first house we did not even have the air powered sweeper and the carpet could be vacuumed without any power/air sweeper.

21. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Doesn't stuff ever get stuck in there? How would you get it out?

22. NH_Wood

NH_Wood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 24, 2009
    Loc:
    southern NH
    Nay. Have one, never use it. Bought a nice Dyson, and I like just carrying the unit around rather than dragging all that hose up and down the stairs. Oh.....wait a minute......I mean my wife doesn't like dragging the hose all of the house and likes carrying the Dyson better. Cheers!

23. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2008
    Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    lol, so your nay is because it is easier to carry the Dyson around? How does the power compare? I've read that I can get shop vac performance out of the central, like better than an old school vac?

24. billb3

billb3
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 14, 2007
    Loc:
    SE Mass
    pencils and long drywall screws that make it through the hose (most clogs seem to be in the hose, just like any other vac that has a hose) usually get caught at the tight bend at the hose wall inlet. When you pull the hose out of the wall inlet it's pretty easy to see and take out.

Once, I had a pencil get past the inlet bend and get caught at the vertical to horizontal bend in the basement ceiling.
    Had to cut the pipe and I put a rubber hose on it. Surprisingly nothing gets caught on it. Getting past that inlet bend seems to be rather rare.

I like all the dust/pollen that you'd need a HEPA filter for going right outside, although I guess there are installs now that don't exhaust warmed or cooled air outside.