Chain Grinder Angles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpirger

Minister of Fire
May 23, 2010
Ithaca NY Area
I bought the Northern Tool grinder for my wife for Christmas. (That was the story anyways). So the head angle is 60 degrees, the chain sits at 25, and then there's the "other angle" that is 10 degrees. This is for my particular chain....no problem.

But what way is that 10 degrees? This is the angle the chain sits at in the "holder" relative to be exactly vertical. I assume the "left cutters" are one 10 degree tilt, and the right cutters are the other direction 10 degrees. So when the chain holder is rotate right, would I tip the "front" of the holder up or down 10 degrees?

My first attempt at grinding wasn't spectacular.

Should the wheel just barely make contact with the cutter? I'm sure I don't want to take off more of the cutter than I need to....and trial and error has begun.

Thanks!

bpirger said:
I bought the Northern Tool grinder for my wife for Christmas. (That was the story anyways). So the head angle is 60 degrees, the chain sits at 25, and then there's the "other angle" that is 10 degrees. This is for my particular chain....no problem.

But what way is that 10 degrees? This is the angle the chain sits at in the "holder" relative to be exactly vertical. I assume the "left cutters" are one 10 degree tilt, and the right cutters are the other direction 10 degrees. So when the chain holder is rotate right, would I tip the "front" of the holder up or down 10 degrees?

My first attempt at grinding wasn't spectacular.

Should the wheel just barely make contact with the cutter? I'm sure I don't want to take off more of the cutter than I need to....and trial and error has begun.

Thanks!

The 10 degree should "flip" automatically for you when you set the chain clamp left or right.

Yes the wheel should just "kiss" the cutter. You may have to make multiple passes until the angles on the chain match your settings exactly. Wheel thickness/shape plays a role here too.

For the 10 tilt you want the inside of the tooth to face up to the wheel. It dont change automatic. If you will take the plasticnut and washer off the bottom and clean up the casting marks it will tilt alot better. I grind most of mine 30deg. Arboristsite has a great thread on this affordable grinder and how to make it better. if interested in these mods such as the base shims pm me and check out that arboristsite thread. Im one of thoase that cant just leave well enough alone. It can always be better in my mind. Love mine. Started grinding some of a loggerfriends chains for free to experiment and got all the junk chains people would let me cleanup for them and told them to give me feed back.

Thanks guys! Mine certainly didn't seem to move on its own....and indeed, it is a bit rough to slide that 10 degree angle. I will certainly have to find the thread on AS.....Without a doubt, once I get this thing working, it will be much faster than going by hand. I'll be happy to have 4 chains or so waiting. I skid my stuff out with a 3PT winch....there's dirt.

Thanks!

Don't worry so much. Just be sure to get the same 25 degree angle each time and not overheat the tooth.

Thanks Tom....yes, much better instructions...already found my answers in 60 seconds! Now to fiddle a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.