Chain oil port

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I was using my EHCO on a petrified old oak and it was like cutting concrete. It was a son of a gun to cut and it dulled the chain almost every 4-5 rounds, but I really wanted the wood. My chains and saw are cheap and I don't mind putting them to the test. I got 2 pick up loads so it was worth the effort. This tree was on a steep hill and no one else wanted it - but me. Problem is, this old wood and my dull chains - produced a fine powder that I think caused the oil port for the chain to get blocked. It's just not spitting oil like it should. It was like cutting kiln dry rounds. I made sure I filed my chain good and the rakers too. It's just the wood was tough. I was throwing chips too - but not like cutting green wood.

I removed everything and looked at it - it's like a rubber reed. If it got too hot - could I have damaged this? How can I adjust it to make it spit more oil. When I rev the motor and point the tip to a round - I see only a slight amount of oil spit and when I cut, the chain and bar smokes. Is this because I am cutting trashy wood? I don't like the bar and chain to get like this. I am using name brand bar oil too and it's full.

I only scrounge down dead wood and I've never had an issue like this. Yet, I've never seen wood like this (old petrified oak). It must be 20 years old. It fell and suspended over the ground as a branch kept it from making ground contact. Two long pieces like a bridge (big too). I split it and I swear it will burn this winter. It's very dry. Splits like a dream and sounds like a baseball bat when you slam two pieces together. Good scrounge but rough on my saw.
Hope I didn't ruin it.

So how do I make it spit the right amount of oil onto the chain and bar?

No oil adjustment on that saw. I would treat your chains to some wd-40 and blow your bar air filter and saw out good.
I should take some pic's of what a milling saw looks like after a few passes but nothing an air compressor will not take care of.

Thanks - I'll give it a better cleaning and look for greener wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.