Chain saw mill recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan

Apr 24, 2010
PEI, Canada
I have a Stihl 036 saw and a wood lot with mixed softwoods which would all be less than 10-12" in diameter. I am interested in ripping some of my pine and fir into boards for some future projects. Can anybody recommend a mill which would work good for me? A Canadian supplier would be great so I can avoid any duties and ridiculous shipping charges. Also do you generally run a different chain when milling? Thanks for you time!

Granberg Alaskan Small Log Mill - fits saws up to 20" bar.I recommend either full chisel or full chisel skip tooth ground at 10 degrees for ripping chain.Pine,Fir etc that you'll be cutting will be a piece of cake.They have a full range of any accessories & related tools/items you might need.

http://granberg.com/

Thistle said:
Granberg Alaskan Small Log Mill - fits saws up to 20" bar.I recommend either full chisel or full chisel skip tooth ground at 10 degrees for ripping chain.Pine,Fir etc that you'll be cutting will be a piece of cake.They have a full range of any accessories & related tools/items you might need.

http://granberg.com/

+1

+2. No question. You can actually use a 24" bar in it no problem. (Other than some bar droop making the board a little thicker on one side.)

Full chisel might be fine for clean pine, but I found it to dull very fast compared to semi-chisel when milling hardwoods.

DiscoInferno said:
+2. No question. You can actually use a 24" bar in it no problem. (Other than some bar droop making the board a little thicker on one side.)

Full chisel might be fine for clean pine, but I found it to dull very fast compared to semi-chisel when milling hardwoods.

I seen the droop on your slabs. Siding that would work fine. Smaller bar and run down both sides may work to flatten it out.

What you've likely seen is the major lopsided droop I get on the ends when I don't use the rails on every cut. That would happen the same with any Granberg-style mill when you get to the end and the frame drops off the end of the log. The side-side droop away from the ends (or when using the rails) is a lot less, more like 1/8" across 22" of width.

DiscoInferno said:
What you've likely seen is the major lopsided droop I get on the ends when I don't use the rails on every cut. That would happen the same with any Granberg-style mill when you get to the end and the frame drops off the end of the log. The side-side droop away from the ends (or when using the rails) is a lot less, more like 1/8" across 22" of width.

Not bad have you tryed a mini mill yet?

No. I got this cheapo unit:
http://www.harborfreight.com/lumber-maker-41085.html
which is the poor-man's mini-mill, but haven't tried it out yet. It's primarily for handling logs too big (wide) for my bar; I figured I could shave down the sides and save quite a few inches.

BTW - word to the wise if anyone else tries to buy that unit. The first one I got was way out of square, like 10 degrees. The second one is fairly square when turned completely vertical, but swing it around and it veers off. No quality control at all.

Looks pretty flimsy to me. For a few yrs I owned the Haddon Beam Machine,similar design but a 1 piece of c-channel steel with the clamping swivel welded to the 1 side.Not bad for edging as long as pieces werent too thick.No idea if original company's still around,lots of knock-offs at Northern Tool & elsewhere.

DiscoInferno said:
which is the poor-man's mini-mill, but haven't tried it out yet. It's primarily for handling logs too big (wide) for my bar; I figured I could shave down the sides and save quite a few inches.

BTW - word to the wise if anyone else tries to buy that unit. The first one I got was way out of square, like 10 degrees. The second one is fairly square when turned completely vertical, but swing it around and it veers off. No quality control at all.

Yea the mini-mill is better. 6inch dept or less its dead on.
This pic is 4 inch deep ash was impressed with it for that job!

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 2,106
smokinjay said:
DiscoInferno said:

Is that a real saw on top of that mini mill. :vampire:

zap

:lol: @ Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
DiscoInferno said:

zap

Its is......Most would not think of using one but I didnt have enough wood to use a 3/8 chain. So it sure adds weight to a tiny saw! ;-) I would take the 192t over any 50cc saw running 3/8 chain. :cheese:

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
DiscoInferno said:

zap

Its is......Most would not think of using one but I didnt have enough wood to use a 3/8 chain. So it sure adds weight to a tiny saw! ;-) I would take the 192t over any 50cc saw running 3/8 chain. :cheese:

Smokin what size chain does it have?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
DiscoInferno said:

zap

Smokin what size chain does it have?

zap

.043 and 8lb saw the bar and fuel doesn't add much to the weight either. Top handle just adds to its versatility!

Lesse here, 16" 3005 mount bar (longest that will take .043), a loop of 3/8" Picco .043 chain, and saw with some more oomph than the 192.... Maybe a MS230/250? Gonna need a new clutch drum/sprocket ...... Double hmmmm.....

MasterMech said:
Lesse here, 16" 3005 mount bar (longest that will take .043), a loop of 3/8" Picco .043 chain, and saw with some more oomph than the 192.... Maybe a MS230/250? Gonna need a new clutch drum/sprocket ...... Double hmmmm.....

Maybe an 880? If it needs replace I should be able to figure it out.. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.