Chain Saw Question......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
I owned a Craftsman (I know, I know) Chainsaw for a number of years until it died.

Now I'm looking to replace it with a good quality chainsaw. I understand the value of a sharp chain and a dependable motor.

I ran across this quote concerning features on a Stihl chainsaw and didn't know what it meant. Perhaps one of you fine folks would explain what it means?

Here's the quote, "RECOMMENDED RANGE OF GUIDE BAR LENGTHS: 40 to 80 cm (16†to 32â€)
STIHL ROLLOMATIC®"

Are these two seperate features or just one? What are they saying when they talk about a "guide bar range" and the "Stihl Rollomatic?"

I'm considering either the Stihl MS 280, or the Husqvarna 460 Rancher.

-Soupy1957

They are recommending a minimum chain bar length of 16 in, maximum of 32. The other reference is a plug for their own brand of roller nose chain bar. Any quality bar will do nicely. Just remember to grease the roller regularly.

I have a 1983 Husqvarna Rancher 61 with a 20 in. roller nose bar. Paid $150 not running, spent another $40 or $50 to get it running. Ass kickin' saw, starts without hesitation with 3 or 4 pulls, even after sitting all winter. Seems to be less tempermental than my friends Stihl, but then I give it more love. YMMV

hth
Craig

With regard to Guide Bar lengths.............It sounds like they are saying (based on your response) that I can use more than one length of Guide Bar, but they have to stay within the 16" to 32" inch range. Big difference between the two..............one is double the length of the other! Impressive that this particular model will accomodate twice the size.

I presume that it would come "stock" with the 16" Guide Bar, yes?

-Soupy1957

It depends on what you ask for when you buy it. I bought a 360 with a 20" on it. You can have them swap out the bar and chain. What model are you looking at? Sounds like a 460 or bigger.

FireAnt said:
It depends on what you ask for when you buy it. I bought a 360 with a 20" on it. You can have them swap out the bar and chain. What model are you looking at? Sounds like a 460 or bigger.

Yep yep, 441/460 Stihl only saws with those #'s.

What really determines the bar size range? Is it mainly power? Can I assume a larger bar would demand more power given the longer cutting surface? And how about the oiler? That's a limitation too, no? You wouldn't want a long bar that requires more oil than can be pumped but do manufacturers limit the oil output to limit the usable bar size?

cygnus said:
What really determines the bar size range? Is it mainly power? Can I assume a larger bar would demand more power given the longer cutting surface? And how about the oiler? That's a limitation too, no? You wouldn't want a long bar that requires more oil than can be pumped but do manufacturers limit the oil output to limit the usable bar size?

Horse power and oil pump are the factors.

soupy1957 said:
I owned a Craftsman (I know, I know) Chainsaw for a number of years until it died.

Now I'm looking to replace it with a good quality chainsaw. I understand the value of a sharp chain and a dependable motor.

I ran across this quote concerning features on a Stihl chainsaw and didn't know what it meant. Perhaps one of you fine folks would explain what it means?

Here's the quote, "RECOMMENDED RANGE OF GUIDE BAR LENGTHS: 40 to 80 cm (16†to 32â€)
STIHL ROLLOMATIC®"

Are these two seperate features or just one? What are they saying when they talk about a "guide bar range" and the "Stihl Rollomatic?"

-Soupy1957

What factors led you to those 2 saws?

soupy1957 said:
With regard to Guide Bar lengths.............It sounds like they are saying (based on your response) that I can use more than one length of Guide Bar, but they have to stay within the 16" to 32" inch range. Big difference between the two..............one is double the length of the other! Impressive that this particular model will accomodate twice the size.

I presume that it would come "stock" with the 16" Guide Bar, yes?

-Soupy1957

Guide Bar = bar

Rollermatic = Stihl's in house brand of bars

Don't be impressed by the range of recommended bar lengths - a saw that will run a 32" bar will of course run any bar shorter than 32"

And my guess is that they specify the min bar length to reduce likelihood of over-revving the engine while cutting.

Fewer cutters in the wood at any one time to absorb engine output.

soupy1957 said:
STIHL ROLLOMATIC®"

One thing's for sure. You ain't running either saw with a 32" bar. 20" maximum on either saw, 18" would be better.

My call would be the Stihl, although I believe you will be limited to .325 chain with that one. I tried to help a friend get his MS260 set up for 3/8 lo-pro chain and discovered that Stihl doesn't offer a 3/8 spur sprocket, nor can you switch to a rim and drum setup. I'm gonna assume that the 280 is the same until I find out otherwise.

Battenkiller said:
soupy1957 said:
STIHL ROLLOMATIC®"

One thing's for sure. You ain't running either saw with a 32" bar. 20" maximum on either saw, 18" would be better.

My call would be the Stihl, although I believe you will be limited to .325 chain with that one. I tried to help a friend get his MS260 set up for 3/8 lo-pro chain and discovered that Stihl doesn't offer a 3/8 spur sprocket, nor can you switch to a rim and drum setup. I'm gonna assume that the 280 is the same until I find out otherwise.

There are a lot of people out there running 3/8" on their 026/260's

"Here’s the quote, “RECOMMENDED RANGE OF GUIDE BAR LENGTHS: 40 to 80 cm (16†to 32â€)
STIHL ROLLOMATIC®â€

Are these two seperate features or just one? What are they saying when they talk about a “guide bar range†and the “Stihl Rollomatic?â€

I’m considering either the Stihl MS 280, or the Husqvarna 460 Rancher."

Presumably when you mentioned the 16" to 32" range, you weren't referring to the 280. Per Stihl's chart, they recommend a maximum 20" bar for the 280.

smokinjay said:
FireAnt said:

Yep yep, 441/460 Stihl only saws with those #'s.

He said a 460 Rancher.. Which is the Husqvarna model. Not the stihl 460. For stihl, he said MS 280.. Just so no one gets confused...

I own a 455 Rancher and would not dare put anything larger than a 20" on it. I have actually thought about putting an 18" on it, because the 036 has a 20" and can pull it much better..

The 280 or the 460 are great Firewood saws. if I might ask, why not the MS 290? These 2 saws have long gone head to head. The "Farm Boss" and the "Rancher".. Always thought that was funny.. One Company had to duplicate the name.. Theres is called "This", so we have to call ours "This"...

How about the new Husqvarna's that are supposed to be out very soon. One is to replace the 455/460 Rancher..

Husky had their 55 & 61 Ranchers starting back in late '70's.Today's 455 & 460 Rancher are basically same displacement & their decendants.Not sure when Stihl introduced the 290 Farm Boss.

HittinSteel said:

I'd love to know the Stihl part number for the splined drum they're using. I had quite a go around with a local Stihl dealer who insisted that there was no Stihl or aftermarket part he was aware of that would allow you to use anything but .325. On the 026, yes, but not the 260, or at least that's what he told me.

Battenkiller said:
HittinSteel said:

I'd love to know the Stihl part number for the splined drum they're using. I had quite a go around with a local Stihl dealer who insisted that there was no Stihl or aftermarket part he was aware of that would allow you to use anything but .325. On the 026, yes, but not the 260, or at least that's what he told me.

Batten,

Gotta look up the the Bar/Sprocket setup for a Stihl 024 to put Picco chain on a 026/MS260. I can't find the bar part # but here's the rim sprocket setup.
Turns the 260 into a limbing light saber, lol.

Taken from the 026 IPL:

Rim Sprocket - 3/8" Picco 7 Tooth

0000 642 1240 - 7 Tooth Rim Sprocket ONLY
1121 007 1039 - 7 Tooth Rim Sprocket Kit

Rim Sprocket - 3/8" Picco 8 Tooth

0000 642 1241 - 8 Tooth Rim Sprocket ONLY
1121 007 1040 - 8 Tooth Rim Sprocket Kit

Good Huntin'!

PS - Stihl has a new PS3 (Picco Super) chain out. I want to know if this stuff is any good!

PPS - The 026 and 260 are damn near identical and there are sprockets to run 3/8" Picco, .325" and 3/8" chain.

Soupy,

I'd pick up the MS280 over the Husky 460. 280 is a sweet saw to run being that it has a great Anti-vibe setup. It's comfortable with 16"-20" bars. Pick your poison.

Battenkiller said:
HittinSteel said:

Go to the Baileys website and get an Oregon setup.....I'd say that Stihl dealer has earned the right for you to shop elsewhere.

MasterMech said:

The 026 and 260 are damn near identical and there are sprockets to run 3/8" Picco, .325" and 3/8" chain.

Now that's what I thought, but the guy was so belligerent about it I was reluctant to argue with him. He's the Stihl expert after all, right? What do I know?

Well, I finally found the IPL for the 260 and you are right... and my guy (now ex-guy) is wrong. Same parts as the 026. Nice thing about the Stihl is that you can get a true lo-pro (picco) rim, while Oregon doesn't make one as of yet.

I struggled with a Craftsman chainsaw for too long. My wife bought it for me shortly after we were married. She didn't know any better.

When it ran, it worked great. Problem was, the damn thing wouldn't idle for more than 10 seconds without stalling. I finally figured out that the idle mixture screws would vibrate themselves out of adjustment after a few minutes of cutting. It was maddening. On top of that, it ran an oddball chain that was hard to find.

I love my Stihl MS290. It's a little heavy at the end of the day--ideally I could use a smaller saw for branches and pruning. But for an all-purpose saw it has been excellent.

Battenkiller said:
MasterMech said:

The 026 and 260 are damn near identical and there are sprockets to run 3/8" Picco, .325" and 3/8" chain.

Now that's what I thought, but the guy was so belligerent about it I was reluctant to argue with him. He's the Stihl expert after all, right? What do I know?

Well, I finally found the IPL for the 260 and you are right... and my guy (now ex-guy) is wrong. Same parts as the 026. Nice thing about the Stihl is that you can get a true lo-pro (picco) rim, while Oregon doesn't make one as of yet.

I believe in order to sell saws you should have to take a proficiency test. I will not do business with my local stihl or husqvarna dealer because they are brain dead rip off artists.

HittinSteel said:
I believe in order to sell saws you should have to take a proficiency test. I will not do business with my local stihl or husqvarna dealer because they are brain dead rip off artists.

One of the reasons I went Husky for most of my saws is that there is an extremely knowledgeable Husky dealer/repair shop less than 1/2 hour away. The Stihl dealer in town is just a small part of a larger indy hardware store's rental operation. I knew going in that they are completely clueless, but I thought they could at least look up a part and order it... especially since I already had the part numbers. :roll:

They also refused to order in factory loops of 1/4 pitch Stihl chain. Phone conversation last fall:

"I want to order a loop of 1/4 pitch Stihl carving chain."

"We don't stock those because nobody would buy them."

"I'll pay in advance and wait until you put in your next Stihl order."

"Like I said... we don't stock those."

"I just want to order one, like a part for a broken saw."

"We don't do special orders."

"It's not a special order, it's a stock Stihl part number."

"Like I said, we don't do special orders."

"Is a part a special order? They all come from the same place."

"Like I said..."

CLICK

Found a guy with a sharpening service who carries Stihl. Went in and asked him about 1/4 pitch chain and he said, "Well, I don't stock it ordinarily, but I supposed I can get in a 25' roll of it and make you chains when you need them." Stihl carving chain is real expensive stuff, but this guy bought a roll just to have it on hand. Way below factory loop price as well, almost half. Guess who gets my order for that new MS201 I've been yearning for?

Battenkiller said:
HittinSteel said:

One of the reasons I went Husky for most of my saws is that there is an extremely knowledgeable Husky dealer/repair shop less than 1/2 hour away. The Stihl dealer in town is just a small part of a larger indy hardware store's rental operation. I knew going in that they are completely clueless, but I thought they could at least look up a part and order it... especially since I already had the part numbers. :roll:

They also refused to order in factory loops of 1/4 pitch Stihl chain. Phone conversation last fall:

"I want to order a loop of 1/4 pitch Stihl carving chain."

"We don't stock those because nobody would buy them."

"I'll pay in advance and wait until you put in your next Stihl order."

"Like I said... we don't stock those."

"I just want to order one, like a part for a broken saw."

"We don't do special orders."

"It's not a special order, it's a stock Stihl part number."

"Like I said, we don't do special orders."

"Is a part a special order? They all come from the same place."

"Like I said..."

CLICK

Found a guy with a sharpening service who carries Stihl. Went in and asked him about 1/4 pitch chain and he said, "Well, I don't stock it ordinarily, but I supposed I can get in a 25' roll of it and make you chains when you need them." Stihl carving chain is real expensive stuff, but this guy bought a roll just to have it on hand. Way below factory loop price as well, almost half. Guess who gets my order for that new MS201 I've been yearning for?

That sucks. My Stihl dealer is a standalone power equipment dealer who carries the whole Stihl lineup. They are great. Sounds like your guy is just as bad as buying it at Home Depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.