Chain Sharpeners On Sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponyboync

Jul 12, 2009
NC
at Harbor Freight for $25. The kind you mount on the work bench and has the grinding wheel. Cheap enough for me to give one a shot. Thought some of you dudes might wanna go get one too.

Somebody let me know if you own this unit... curious if they are a real alternative to Northern's unit or one of the Oregon grinders, or.... just more of the same from Harbor Freight.

BTW: The chain's on backwards in the catalog photo. :bug:

I don't own one, but maybe with the harbor freight tool you can sharpen both sides so when one side gets dull, you just flip the chain over and run it the other way. Or maybe put it on backwards and it can fix a bad cut. :)

MasterMech said:
Somebody let me know if you own this unit... curious if they are a real alternative to Northern's unit or one of the Oregon grinders, or.... just more of the same from Harbor Freight.

BTW: The chain's on backwards in the catalog photo. :bug:

I have that one and an Oregon. There really isn't a comparison but my $19.99 HF has sharpened a lot of chain over the last 5 years. Hard to argue at that price.

Ditto. It's sloppy flexible plastic and what adjustments there are are imprecise and don't match left to right. I had to put tape inside the chain clamp to get it to hold right. Plus it ships with the wrong size disc for 3/8" chain. You don't want to go into the chain sharpening business with one. But for $20 or whatever I paid on sale it's been worth every penny. I mostly hand sharpen but I'm not that good at it and I also hit a lot of rocks.

MasterMech said:

I have a very close cousin of this (basically looks identical). It is NOT a real alternative to the Oregon grinders. It will work. You have to pay close attention to detail when using this unit, but the fact is - it spins a stone that will sharpen an edge. As said above, if you use 3/8 chain, you will need a different wheel.

I have probably run 50 or so chains through mine (including the loops for my 25" bar). I have no reason to believe that it doesn't have 10X that amount left in it. After the first rocked out chain or two, it pretty much paid for itself.

(rocked out chains, used to go to the pro for fix up, not any more.)

I have used one and after messing with it for a few hours and ruining a chain I returned it. Nothing close to the same as the expensive models.

Status
Not open for further replies.