Chains in Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
How does everyone store or hang there extra chains for the chainsaw.

zap

I have them on a peg board, and have a nail on one of my shelves with a bucket under it to soak them down with wd-40 when need be.

smokinjay said:
I have them on a peg board, and have a nail on one of my shelves with a bucket under it to soak them down with wd-40 when need be.

Thanks Smokin, when I found four more chains this morning (3 in the garage & 1 in the basement) I knew it's time to get them hanging in one place.

zap

My new ones stay in the package from the Stihl dealer until I need one. The used ones hang on a nail.

I have a toolbox that I keep all my saw related cruft in, other than the saws and safety gear (won't fit) - I keep the chains in the factory box, and save the empty box - take the chain off it goes back in the box...

Some folks I've heard of like to keep a plastic "Tupperware" style container with the chains in it, soaking in a bit of bar oil. Some even get one of the multi-compartment trays and put a chain in each compartment - seems like a decent idea to me...

Gooserider

Extra chains? Do you mean a new spare? In the box it came in of course.

Old junk chains? Could be laying around anywhere. Tangled up loops in the bottom of the tool bag.

I usually have 3 chains at most. One on the saw, an old one, just in case and a new one still in the plastic case. Right now I have only the one on the saw and an old one (somewhere). I probably won't buy another one until next winter.

I have lots of spare chains, but then I use different sized bars on my saws when the need demands. My spares are (sharpened) in a tupperware box, and soaking in bar oil. When I go to cut I generally will take 3 chains for whatever bar length I'm using with me. I never bother to 'touch up' and certainly don't try to sharpen a chain in the field, I slip on a fresh chain and get on the work, I can flitter away my time sharpening chains later in the evening at my leisure.

As for soaking them in bar oil, well - why wouldn't you? They chain is an item that has to be lubricated, it a part under high stress, and while this may just surprise the living bejezuz out of some folks, but I can actually afford the pint of oil it takes per year to keep them wet.

Kong, even better is to use a light grease when you hang those chains.

I have tryed the oil and the tupperware and that can turn into a mess.

LLigetfa said:
Extra chains? Do you mean a new spare? In the box it came in of course.

Old junk chains? Could be laying around anywhere. Tangled up loops in the bottom of the tool bag.

I mean chains that you can use, could be new or it could be an older chain thats good and resharpened.

zap

zapny said:
[...could be an older chain thats good and resharpened.
If it's resharpened, it's on the bar. If it's new, it's in the box it came in. If it's old junk, it's dull and probably tangled or hanging around somewhere.

I keep a couple of sharpened chains in ziploc sandwich bags in a small toolbox I take with me whenever I cut away from home. Any chain that needs attention is hanging on a nail in the shop garage. Obviously new chains stay in the box they came in.

I just keep one and sharpen it by hand now. When I used to use a machine I would clean them, sharpen and put some spray paint on them so anyone would know they were good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.