Chains, The Old Green Truck and a Prayer!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Looks like Saturday we will give this a whirl, big chain around the hung up Hemlock to the truck then some pulling. :eek:hh:

zap

Attachments

• 100_4281.jpg
    100_4281.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 694
  • 100_4282.jpg
    100_4282.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 705
Looks like a few good milling logs there.
Maybe a bigger truck :)

How will you do that ZAP? Will you remove a few trees in the way? Cut the bottom of that leaner, and then pull the bottom out until it drops to the ground?

Gasifier said:
How will you do that ZAP? Will you remove a few trees in the way? Cut the bottom of that leaner, and then pull the bottom out until it drops to the ground?

Those are the plans, I'll take another good look once we go back in but I think that is the best (safest) way.

zap

It sure can take some thinking to get a hanger down safely Zap. One trick I use from time to time when I am pulling from the side. Is to wrap the chain around the tree a few times so as I am pulling it tries to roll the tree as well as pull it.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
It sure can take some thinking to get a hanger down safely Zap. One trick I use from time to time when I am pulling from the side. Is to wrap the chain around the tree a few times so as I am pulling it tries to roll the tree as well as pull it.

Billy

Sounds like a good idea Billy, thanks.

zap

Be extra careful on that one Zap. Its got "ugly" written all over it. If you are going to cut at the base be prepared for some weird tree movements.

Edit: as a matter of fact, consider chaining the base in one direction or the other and cut from the opposite side.

Cowboy Billy said:
Is to wrap the chain around the tree a few times so as I am pulling it tries to roll the tree as well as pull it.

Billy

I like this Billy. I have never done it, but will tuck that into my book of "options".

Can you just leave it there?

Jags said:
Be extra careful on that one Zap. Its got "ugly" written all over it. If you are going to cut at the base be prepared for some weird tree movements.

Edit: as a matter of fact, consider chaining the base in one direction or the other and cut from the opposite side.

Thanks Jags, we had planned on chaining it so we are pulling it down the hill.

FBF, it has to come down, that is the trail to go up top. It also could come down on the trail on the bottom side of our property. When we get back in, if my gut says it's to dangerous then we will let mother nature take care of it.

We might get a couple inches of snow tonight which might make me call it off. Might be to slick working on the hill.

After hooking up the chain around the tree then to the truck the plan is to make a deep v cut in the top then come from the bottom up making sure we have some tension on the chain pulling it away from me.

zap

Be careful.

Flatbedford said:
Be careful.

Will do, I'll be cleaning that area out and my escape routes first. Plan on cutting the tree close to the ground with the 28 inch bar on the 660.

This is the kind of job I wished that Loon lived closer, that big tractor would be nice.

zap

I just make shallow cuts and then rip it down, no danger to it. I have a 50 ft cable and 25 feet of chain to get as far away as I need to. Thats how us chickens do it.

oldspark said:
I just make shallow cuts and then rip it down, no danger to it. I have a 50 ft cable and 25 feet of chain to get as far away as I need to. Thats how us chickens do it.

Smart chickens. ;-)

Zap, looking forward to the next instalment of pictures on this one ;-)

Cowboy Billy said:

Billy
That is a good point Billy. Did that with a leaner one time, a neighbor who was helping me suggested it, worked great.

It's amazing what a tractor and some longer cable can do for your felling routine. ;-)

How close can you get to the base with the truck?

I'd roll wrap the chain like Billy suggested and then pull it downhill at a 45 degree angle from the lean. If its still got a lot of meat keeping it attached to the stump I'd chain the thing tight to the nearby trees in multiple directions and hit it with the 660 slow and easy.

I had a real bad widowmaker at my brother's house about a month ago. 50 foot poplar, about 20" at the base toppled over in a windstorm. Trunk about 12' up from the ground was chest height and you could just feel the tension in the air when you got near it. Chained it hard and tight at 90 degrees to a tree about 15 feet away and started making my first cut topside about 2 feet below the chain. I could feel the tension slowly and steadily relax on the tree as the chain kept getting tighter and tighter and the stump end just detached when I got to end of the cut. It was all very nice and predicatable...couldn't have gone better for me.

mayhem said:
How close can you get to the base with the truck?

I'd roll wrap the chain like Billy suggested and then pull it downhill at a 45 degree angle from the lean. If its still got a lot of meat keeping it attached to the stump I'd chain the thing tight to the nearby trees in multiple directions and hit it with the 660 slow and easy.

I had a real bad widowmaker at my brother's house about a month ago. 50 foot poplar, about 20" at the base toppled over in a windstorm. Trunk about 12' up from the ground was chest height and you could just feel the tension in the air when you got near it. Chained it hard and tight at 90 degrees to a tree about 15 feet away and started making my first cut topside about 2 feet below the chain. I could feel the tension slowly and steadily relax on the tree as the chain kept getting tighter and tighter and the stump end just detached when I got to end of the cut. It was all very nice and predicatable...couldn't have gone better for me.

I'm thinking about 25 feet, not really sure.

Edit; just looked at the picture real close, I should be able to back the truck up within 5 - 10 feet of the tree.

zap

I'm thinking that you'd want the truck (and you) as far away as possible from the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.