Chainsaw Bogs When on its Side?!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
Hello everyone! I have some questions about my chainsaw. From day 1 my Ryobi MY10532 has bogged when cutting on its side. Most inconvenient when trying to fell a tree. Here's the thing....its not bogging because it doesn't have the nuts to keep going, it bogs because it acts like its running out of gas! This happens even if I'm cutting down 1" saplings.

The weird part, this problem doesn't happen when I have a 100% full tank of fuel. As soon as the tank gets below 75% it will bog and die when running on its side. It runs exactly like its out of fuel.

Any ideas?

Possibly a deteriorated fuel hose in the fuel tank that crimps shut when the filter moves into a different position when its on the side?

look inside your fuel tank and move the fuel filter to a better location.

Yep, sounds like your pickup line is sucking air.

Empty the tank and then look inside while laying the saw on its side to make sure the line will flop to the "bottom".

I'd be willing to bet it isn't the fuel line but rather a bad crankshaft seal. If the line checks out ok, check your crank seals. Make sure they are in tight (probably bolts on the bottom of the engine, they can get loose with time). After checking that, soak the crank seals in motor oil (30w works great) and then give it a go. The best/easiest way to do this is to poor some motor oil on the outside of the crankshaft and then also fill the engine with motor oil. Obviously pull the carb and exhaust when you do this. Let it sit overnight, then drain all the oil out, put it back together and give it a go. I've fixed a handful of Poulans this way since actually replacing the seals wouldn't have been worth it.

joecool85 said:
I'd be willing to bet it isn't the fuel line but rather a bad crankshaft seal. If the line checks out ok, check your crank seals. Make sure they are in tight (probably bolts on the bottom of the engine, they can get loose with time). After checking that, soak the crank seals in motor oil (30w works great) and then give it a go. The best/easiest way to do this is to poor some motor oil on the outside of the crankshaft and then also fill the engine with motor oil. Obviously pull the carb and exhaust when you do this. Let it sit overnight, then drain all the oil out, put it back together and give it a go. I've fixed a handful of Poulans this way since actually replacing the seals wouldn't have been worth it.

Hope Your wrong but Great Tip....I Have a old Mac that I will give that a try on....The reason I would say your wrong is the amount of gas is making a difference.

smokinjay said:
Hope Your wrong but Great Tip....I Have a old Mac that I will give that a try on....The reason I would say your wrong is the amount of gas is making a difference.

Color me wrong then, I didn't read your entire first post lol. The other guys are almost certainly right if it is only doing it with a lower than full amount of gas in the saw.

joecool85 said:
... if it is only doing it with a lower than full amount of gas in the saw.

Ding,ding ding.

Jags said:
joecool85 said:

Ding,ding ding.

Hey, I admitted I was wrong. Like I said, I didn't read the entire post. Just that it bogs on it's side.

joecool85 said:
Jags said:
joecool85 said:

Ding,ding ding.

Hey, I admitted I was wrong. Like I said, I didn't read the entire post. Just that it bogs on it's side.

Not faulting you - just showing another confirmation of the likely problem.

joecool85 said:
Jags said:
joecool85 said:

Ding,ding ding.

Hey I love the fix though........My mac is not worth breaking it down thats for sure!

Joe - I'm glad you posted this and I bet the others are also. I'm often confronted with less thatn perfect saws when traveling in remote areas. This will surely be helpful in the future.

Thanks !
Mike

There is a known issue with that model. The original fuel line is too long, which doesn't let the fuel filter/pickup sit where it's supposed to be.

SOLUTION: shorten the fuel line. Some have even added weight (washers) to the line to keep it down.

Thanks guys! I'll give that a try next time I go to use it. I was checking out some of the threads on the arboristsite.com forum and holy crap those guys are nuts! I think I've got the chainsaw bug. Now I'm looking into modifying the muffler and jetting it! :)

BurnIt13 said:
Thanks guys! I'll give that a try next time I go to use it. I was checking out some of the threads on the arboristsite.com forum and holy crap those guys are nuts! I think I've got the chainsaw bug. Now I'm looking into modifying the muffler and jetting it! :)

I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

TreePointer said:
BurnIt13 said:

I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

Me too. I'm a member. Heck, I spent about 2 years practically living on that forum when I first got into saws.

BurnIt13 said:

Slam the head port the exhaust and intake why your there. :zip:

smokinjay said:
BurnIt13 said:

And put a stronger pull rope on it.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
BurnIt13 said:

And put a stronger pull rope on it.
:cheese:

Dont forget the decomp button & pipe exhaust

Thistle said:
Dont forget the decomp button & pipe exhaust

Oh yea! where already in there it would be a shame to forget That Moly rings Too? Parts list.....

Gimme a sec to get pen & paper,its like a grocery list I cant remember more than 2 things unless I write this crap down,unless I have double espresso lol

Thistle said:
Gimme a sec to get pen & paper,its like a grocery list I cant remember more than 2 things unless I write this crap down,unless I have double espresso lol

Bosh plug, fuel filter, custom work on the air filter, new rings, tube peratex,cold lard,Cold Beer....Nice dermal and drill press. Rolling work station. Whos doing the custom chain work? Shave the rivets oh you will need those chapes boots helmet and get the shirt to!

And don't forget a set of these for the machine:

Attachments

• smallredring.gif
    smallredring.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 342
Jags said:
And don't forget a set of these for the machine:

Does it come in Bigger sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies.