chainsaw file angle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Most file jobs are done at 30 to 35 degree angles i assume. I try to stay with the mark on the chain. Why would some one file up to a 45 or down to 0 degree angle. The best answer ive got so far is " it depends on what kind of wood your cutting" with no elaboration.

I'm no expert, but the narrower the angle, the more aggressive the cutter will be. I guess this would be a good thing if you were cutting lots of hardwood. I don't know how you could have a zero degree angle.

milling the angle will be 10 degrees(milling at 10 is a smoother cut) ful and simi chiesl chain 30-35 more agressive big chips. picco's 20-25 small kerf small motor

I run a chisel on my 460 with a 30 degree and 10degree up angle on file. Aggressive is what i want cutting mainly old hard locust takes a lot longer to make a cut not to mention being very rough on chains.

smokinjay, Lowering my file to the gullet of the tooth will make it bite harder but dull quicker and raising the file up will make it bit less aggressive but stay sharp longer? Is that correct? Like i said i cut yello locustreal hard stuff old timers used for fence posts. This stuff throws sparks in low light.

oilstinks said:
smokinjay, Lowering my file to the gullet of the tooth will make it bite harder but dull quicker and raising the file up will make it bit less aggressive but stay sharp longer? Is that correct? Like i said i cut yello locustreal hard stuff old timers used for fence posts. This stuff throws sparks in low light.

Thats correct simi chisel would be the way to gor for that stuff...If your going to be doing a lot of it in-ject-chain would the very best for fence post. Baieys sale it .35 cents a drive lenght

oilstinks said:
I run a chisel on my 460 with a 30 degree and 10degree up angle on file. Aggressive is what i want cutting mainly old hard locust takes a lot longer to make a cut not to mention being very rough on chains.

The woodland pro brand stock is cut at 35 degrees I cut them at 30 degrees it will stay sharp a little longer but not cut as fast....full chiesl you just need to be pretty good at sharpening.

in-ject-chain whats that. Why a semi a new chisel rips through it great but i have trouble filing a chain to like new.

oilstinks said:
in-ject-chain whats that. Why a semi a new chisel rips through it great but i have trouble filing a chain to like new.

simi will stay sharp longer and easier to file. The fence post will be hard on the full chisel. Inject-a-chain for rr ties and fence post are sweeet its carbide injected....yea the loucst full chisel no brainer! Just a few thoughts if your going to be doing a lot of fence,treated lumbar,or even rr ties.

the gravel sometimes embedded it the rrts are what hold me back lol i dont make fence i just burn bout 95 percent locust

oilstinks said:
the gravel sometimes embedded it the rrts are what hold me back lol

lol thats why I know about inject chain....small bar its worth having a chain around for the crap stuff you can run into.

Status
Not open for further replies.