Chainsaw Overheat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Nov 4, 2010
IN
Hi All,

New member here. I have an 031AV that I picked up cheap. Looks pretty lightly used. 20" bar.

Good compression. It runs fine after I tuned it but something is still off. If I run it pretty hard cutting hardwood it seems to get hot, not oil as well, and loose power in the cut. This is after about 3/4 tank. I don't think it is leaning-out because it still 4-strokes pretty good, but when you bury the bar it bogs (noticeably more than from a cold start). Set it down for 10-15 minutes and all is well for a whilen then repeat of above.

I had to clean out the groove in the bar (was really caked) and that helped it oil better. It does oil so I know (or at least I think I know) the oil pump it doing it's job.

I know the basics on small engines/etc. but this one is beyond me.

Thanks for reading.

Maybe 4 stroking too much lean it up a little....

Sycamore,from your description I will venture that your gas filter is partially clogged.It 4 strokes when it does not have a load on it but when cutting the engine needs more gas and I have reason to think the gas filter is the culprit.Have you checked thew gas tank vent?I would also check the gas line for a sharp bend, that could restrict gas flow, Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.