chainsaw question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozarkjeep

Nov 6, 2006
local rag has a stihl o24 advertised for $150, with extra bars and chains, says it has a new piston as well.

where does the stihl 024 fall, consumer saw? or small pro saw?

I just want one that runs alright, to use a few times per year.

$150 is my budget, cheaper is better.
But I wont a saw I can get parts for and maintain, I know a bit about engines, and 2 strokes especially, parts availbilty and, design engineering are important to me.

can I do better for $150?

As to your quandry on the Stihl 024, this is a homeowners saw. It will fit your bill, but with proper maintance it will last many years. One of the best things about this saw is the excellant vibration system.As to parts these are mostly available from your dealer or Baileys or Madisons. What year is this saw? I would make sure that the chain oiler is working.It should start up in about 2-4 pulls. Any more then I would possibly suspect something amiss. I would not use over a 16 inch bar and chain on this saw. (B/C) If you are happy with it, use preminum gas and a quality 2 cycle oil, and she will run for years, Ken

ozarkjeep said:
local rag has a stihl o24 advertised for $150, with extra bars and chains, says it has a new piston as well.

But I wont a saw I can get parts for and maintain, I know a bit about engines, and 2 strokes especially, parts availbilty and, design engineering are important to me.

For 300.00 you can get great used Dolmar 5100's 15 to ship in US. the guy selling is a Dolmar dealer.

I would keep looking for something newer. How much wood do you cut a year?

bobo said:
ozarkjeep said:

For 300.00 you can get great used Dolmar 5100's 15 to ship in US. the guy selling is a Dolmar dealer. .

Can't you buy a new Dolmar 5100s for $350. ?

I would keep looking for a chainsaw over the 024 but you could always keep it in mind if need be.
You can still buy used but unless you cutting small trees or just going to use the 024 for a smaller limbing size saw i would look bigger , newer.

ok, so need a larger newer saw.

larger as in bar length? or engine size?

also, will I find a newer larger saw for $150?

I am really not going to use it much, seriously a FEW times per year, logs general 14-16" diameter.

I am not going into the logging business, mainly cutting some that were cleared last year by the power company to 16" for the fireplace.

ozarkjeep said:

larger as in bar length? or engine size?

I am really not going to use it much, seriously a FEW times per year, logs general 14-16" diameter.

I am not going into the logging business, mainly cutting some that were cleared last year by the power company to 16" for the fireplace.
If your not cutting for firewood year after year for your supply than thats what the Poulan and craftsman kinda chainsaws are for , you can even look into the smaller Husqvarnas and Stihls and even Echo's for about $170. new , You'll get smaller motors but again if not cutting for yearly firewood than you'll be alright.

Now if your BS-n yourself and us as per needing a yearly saw for firewood supply than your going to be spending more money in the long run buying the "once in a wile chainsaw" vs the better models made to last for years.

Also take a look at Echo chainsaws for good deals for what you need , you should find a new one for just a few bucks over $150.

As to bar length ..... no , just because is has a bigger bar 18" does not mean its a better chainsaw , start looking at motor size and your going to need at least 45cc for fire wood cutting and smaller CC size motors will be OK for just tree trimming , brush clearing and once in a wile work.

Its also going to be hard to find a good used chainsaw if your new to the game and are unsure of what to look for , its a sometimes you win and sometimes you loose game with used gas power tools , normally there is a big reason some one is getting rid of them , good bad and the ugly.

What ever you find new or used ........ bring the info back here and somebody with chainsaw experence is always willing to help you with your dissections.

Here is a good price for a new 45cc Echo ...............

http://cgi.ebay.com/Echo-CS-440-18i...0063962010QQihZ001QQcategoryZ88435QQrdZ1QQcmd

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECHO-GAS-CHAIN-...0062425312QQihZ013QQcategoryZ88435QQrdZ1QQcmd

Good deal , good price on a new Husqvarna 350 from a well known seller. ( i bought from them too ) comes with Free Shipping & BRAND NEW in box! 18"bar and 2 chains

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chainsaws-HUSQV...0056049365QQihZ012QQcategoryZ79666QQrdZ1QQcmd

Used 350 , looks good ... unknown of the seller or actual shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Husqvarna-350-C...0059951623QQihZ013QQcategoryZ79666QQrdZ1QQcmd

ozarkjeep said:
No, you don't... With due respect to some of the guys here, who really do know their chit about shainsaws, there IS a place for homeowner-grade saws, and your use fits in that category perfectly.

Not one worth buying.

If it's working properly, an 024 with 16" bar will do that just fine. Just make sure you understand how to maintain it, especially sharpening the chain. That's a skill worth perfecting. Do it every day before you go out and cut. I felled and limbed over 5 full cords worth of trees this year, in the same size range as yours, with a smaller Stihl than the one you're considering.

Roospike said:

Yes you can for 350.00

I just bought the two used 5100's ,280.00 each an hour ago. Full warranty one had 2 tanks through other had 4 tanks Both were on site dealer demo saws . The dealer has saw demo area outside his building and the saws stay on site. The bad thing is I could have bought a 7900 for 485.00 but was to late or that would have been my truck too.

I'm not stuck on one brand .

bobo said:
Roospike said:

Yes you can for 350.00

I just bought the two used 5100's ,280.00 each an hour ago. Full warranty one had 2 tanks through other had 4 tanks Both were on site dealer demo saws . The dealer has saw demo area outside his building and the saws stay on site. The bad thing is I could have bought a 7900 for 485.00 but was to late or that would have been my truck too.

You got good deals indeed brother bobo , the 7900 would of been a great deal too.

Roospike said:
So who dont know chit about chainsaws ?
Relax dude, go back and re-read my post... it says:
"who really do know their chit about shainsaws".

On his 024, I also said "if it's working properly".

Roospike said:
bobo said:
Roospike said:

Yes you can for 350.00

You got good deals indeed brother bobo , the 7900 would of been a great deal too.

I dont want to kick myself to hard .But If....did I say if .. I should have gone back to the dealer yesterday it would have been in my shop. They sold all there demo saws and are starting a new demo promotion in early spring . Now If only I could get my Stihl and Husky dealers to do that .

bobo said:
Roospike said:
bobo said:
Roospike said:

Yes you can for 350.00

I dont want to kick myself to hard .But If....did I say if .. I should have gone back to the dealer yesterday it would have been in my shop. They sold all there demo saws and are starting a new demo promotion in early spring . Now If only I could get my Stihl and Husky dealers to do that .

I'm sure the deals didnt last long ..............

I have been "if-n" for years , it goes away once a new deal comes up.

precaud said:
Roospike said:
So who dont know chit about chainsaws ?
Relax dude, go back and re-read my post... it says:
"who really do know their chit about shainsaws".

On his 024, I also said "if it's working properly".

*********** :cheese: ********** ;-)

I always respect precaud's opinion, but I think it would be a mistake to buy a cheap saw. Like Roo says, buying used is a crap shoot, but I'd take a used quality saw over a new, el cheapo saw any day.

And I would say that the need for quality holds true even if you're only going to use the saw a couple of times a year. Cheap, price-point consumer saws are not going to be reliable whether you're using them once a year or every day. If you buy a decent, name-brand saw with a servicing dealer nearby, then you can get it fixed when it won't start. Nobody is going to want to service an el cheapo saw that you bought at some local discount outlet and you'll wind up spending a lot more getting your wood cut over the longer term.

Reminds me when I was in my early '20s and just starting to think about buying some reliable transporation. I mentioned to my FIL, who knew something about quality, that I was considering a Yugo. He said he wouldn't be caught dead buying or driving a Yugo. "But it's a NEW CAR with a WARRANTY," I said. "How can I go wrong?"

That's one piece of advice I'm glad I took.

thanks for all of the information guys.

the deal is, ive used cheap chainsaws craftsman, poulan, I wasnt impressed.

I was hoping the stihl 024 would be a better saw than the $150-$200 new craftsman,poulan saws.

if it is, Ill go look at it, if it isnt, Ill continue to use my borrowed electric chainsaw, and 14" bar poulan.

Eric Johnson said:
I always respect precaud's opinion, but I think it would be a mistake to buy a cheap saw.
Eric, what am I missing? Seems to me we are saying the same thing in different words. I was referring to his prospective 024 as a homeowner-grade saw, and discouraging the low-grade big box store stuff.

these were my thoughts on a smaller, older used quality tool, VS a newer, less designed cheapo tool.

thats why I was asking though, Ive never messed with any QUALITY chainsaw, just cheapos.

Eric Johnson said:
I always respect precaud's opinion, but I think it would be a mistake to buy a cheap saw. Like Roo says, buying used is a crap shoot, but I'd take a used quality saw over a new, el cheapo saw any day.

And I would say that the need for quality holds true even if you're only going to use the saw a couple of times a year. Cheap, price-point consumer saws are not going to be reliable whether you're using them once a year or every day. If you buy a decent, name-brand saw with a servicing dealer nearby, then you can get it fixed when it won't start. Nobody is going to want to service an el cheapo saw that you bought at some local discount outlet and you'll wind up spending a lot more getting your wood cut over the longer term.

Reminds me when I was in my early '20s and just starting to think about buying some reliable transporation. I mentioned to my FIL, who knew something about quality, that I was considering a Yugo. He said he wouldn't be caught dead buying or driving a Yugo. "But it's a NEW CAR with a WARRANTY," I said. "How can I go wrong?"

That's one piece of advice I'm glad I took.

precaud said:
Eric Johnson said:
I always respect precaud's opinion, but I think it would be a mistake to buy a cheap saw.
Eric, what am I missing? Seems to me we are saying the same thing in different words. I was referring to his prospective 024 as a homeowner-grade saw, and discouraging the low-grade big box store stuff.

I made the mistake of equating "homeowner-grade" with "cheap," which ain't always the case. But there are more opportunities to make the wrong choice in that price range. The 024 is a good saw, though a little long in the tooth.

Does this one have an inertial chain brake? If not, probably best to shop around.

inertial chainbrake?

How do I tell?

Press the handguard forward. If it makes a big click and the chain won't move, then it's got one.

Inertial chain brakes are essential safety devices. What they are designed to do is react to kickback by automatically stopping the chain before it hits you in the forehead or jugular vein. Human beings don't have the reaction time to respond to kickback, assuming they were strong enough to counteract the force of the kickback in the first place.

If this saw doesn't have one, I think you should shop around for a more modern saw that does.

ozarkjeep said:
inertial chainbrake?

How do I tell?

If the saw is a Poulan . Throw it up in the air when it hits the ground you will see the inertia brake the chainsaw.

Just kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.