chainsaw question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pict

Sep 1, 2007
oklahoma
Can anyone tell me if Echo chainsaws are a good buy?
I"m looking for a good chainsaw for as little outlay as possible. My Craftsman is just getting too troublesome to be bothered with.

I bought my first Echo recently. It's a leaf blower, but I have to say I'm impressed. I have had all Stihl equipment up to this point, but the Echo is quieter than my friend's Stihl leaf blower and less vibration. For a small saw, I'd consider an Echo. For a big workhorse, I'd still probably get a Stihl or Husky. FWIW, Dolmar (Makita) is popular too.

I have both an Echo CS-346 and a Stihl 025. Both are good saws, but the Echo is not the least expensive good saw.

What are you looking for from the saw?

A good entry priced Stihl is MS-170 that usually sells for about 170 bucks, or go shop Husky's at Lowes.

I'm looking for a good reliable long lasting saw for the least amount of money.

I'm not cutting down anything too big, but the craftsman I have is and has always been nothing but trouble.
I wouldn't buy another, that's for sure.

I have a pair of 16" Huskys - an old 36 and a 345e. I've had great luck with them. I'm lusting after my neighbor's Echo, though. I don't know the model, but it's a very small and light saw that seems to be very well made. It's great for limbing work - great balance and adequate power. He's had it for years as his only saw, and loves it.

My Echo is 26 years old and still kicks ass. :p

Echo does produce a high quality product. The Echo saw that is the right size for what you have in mind will definitely get the job done.

My only caveat would be that Echo saws ship from the factory set WAY too lean. You WILL want to richen them up - H, L - to help assure that they are still running strong years and years from now. You may also wish to open the muffler up a bit (go to arboristsite for more info there) to let them breathe a bit more; this is not unique to Echo, most saws benefit to varying degrees from having their muffler outlet enlarged or an additional outlet added).

computeruser said:
Echo does produce a high quality product. The Echo saw that is the right size for what you have in mind will definitely get the job done.

My only caveat would be that Echo saws ship from the factory set WAY too lean. You WILL want to richen them up - H, L - to help assure that they are still running strong years and years from now. You may also wish to open the muffler up a bit (go to arboristsite for more info there) to let them breathe a bit more; this is not unique to Echo, most saws benefit to varying degrees from having their muffler outlet enlarged or an additional outlet added).

I've never understood why they're not manufactured this way, if it improves performance so much. Are their maintenance/safety/emissions considerations holding them back? Surely they know about this stuff. I guess I can understand the lean part, since it means saws will need to be replaced more often.

Eric Johnson said:
I've never understood why they're not manufactured this way, if it improves performance so much. Are their maintenance/safety/emissions considerations holding them back? Surely they know about this stuff. I guess I can understand the lean part, since it means saws will need to be replaced more often.

I read a thread on another site posted by a guy that said he was a former engineer for Husky. He said that the marketing guys were always pressuring them to get the saws as lean as they could to pass emissions guidelines and still make it a little passed the warranty expiration.

A lot of tree surgeons use echos so they gotta be ok. I have an old Stihl 010 but when I needed bigger I found a new Poulan Pro, 55cc, 22" bar, on sale from $450 to $350. It's been a champ. That's their pro series mind you, I don't think their regular ones have enough juice.

I have the Echo cs346, bought it off EBay real cheap, brand new, very light weight saw, runs great, also did the muffler mod, broke off the plastic carb caps, so I could adjust the carb right. It's a great small saw. But your not going to get a pro saw cheap unless it's used. Depending on what size wood you cut and how much you cut each year should help you decide on the correct size and saw type. I have three saws for different purposes, small, medium, and large.

I saw an Echo CS 520 for sale in the rental department @ Home depot this evening......$360.00+tax....used 14 times according to the rental record.Seemed like a decent price, ergonomics were okay but I'm with Begreen,when I go to buy a big workhorse saw....it'll be a Stihl or Husky....They just feel more rugged in hand.Now if only the local Depot carried DOLMAR saws!(Echo only here) :mad:

Buddy lent me his Echo, a used ASPUNDE tree service model- a very nice saw indeed.
When my one year old 18" Craftsman seazed up and snapped the shaft- Sears gave me the choice of and comparable saw (cuz they "were not making that model anymore" -guess they knew something ???)- I took another 18" Huskavarna, (the week after I had just purchased another new one)- so now I have 2 of them.
Guess I won't have to worry about mixing chain sizes !

I recently bought an Echo CS-330T which is a nice climbing saw, but I actually used it for almost everything. They sell for great prices on ebay and I've even seen them cheap, new.
My brother-in-law worked for Wright tree service and recommended the smaller Echo saws. Well the only thing I really didn't like about them is all the plastic feels kind of cheap but the high end Stihl saws now-a-days are the same thing.

Good buy...in my book I'd say yes, (but I've gone back to my Stihl 020, decided to have it fixed after all.)

Status
Not open for further replies.