Chainsaw tendonitis?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Well, did a lot of cutting in the last 2 weeks, more than I ever have in such a period before.

I'm using a little 14" Homelite electric chainsaw because it was the lightest saw I could find capable of cutting the size trees I have, and I'm running one handed (missing right arm entirely.) Yes, even my wife calls it my "Barbie chainsaw."

Anyway, after all this cutting, my left arm is hurting. I can actually feel the nerve running from my shoulder all the way to my fingertips, and my thumb and first two fingers are going numb.

So, yeah, a visit to my MD is in order. But with that said, anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Any suggestions or solutions?

(I know, I know...

"Doc, it hurts when I do this."
"Then don't do that.")

Sounds like you are taking a lot of Vibration from that saw. Kinda like a hard tail motor cycle. Couple of things either get another saw with less vibes would be #1 2nd would be anti-vibe gloves. 3rd running a chain that is designed for less vibes Stihl rsc comes to mind(anything stihl that has a "c" in it means comfort). This may take a combo to get the right effect. I have came off saws that made your whole body feel like tennis elbow! Oh and if you want something for your self Bio flex will help bring you around much quickier! Dont ask how I figured that out...

smokinjay said:
Sounds like you are taking a lot of Vibration from that saw. Kinda like a hard tail motor cycle. Couple of things either get another saw with less vibes would be #1 2nd would be anti-vibe gloves. 3rd running a chain that is designed for less vibes Stihl rsc comes to mind(anything stihl that has a "c" in it means comfort). This may take a combo to get the right effect. I have came off saws that made your whole body feel like tennis elbow!

I've run a few old saws (pre anti-vibe) that made my hands go to sleep after a few minutes from all the vibration. If that electric saw doesn't have AV, you might want to consider a small top-handle saw...or and AV electric (if there is such a thing)...

Dogz - those electric things are very functional but do have excess vibes due to the chain speed. You can actually feel each tooth hit the wood. A small 192 Top handle would be MUCH more friendly to ya than the electric will. Use the standard anti-kick chain that comes with it for added protection from one handed use. You will also speed up production by a factor of 3 or 4 times. That electric thing is gonna pizz ya off if your trying to produce firewood. Just one dudes opinion.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
Sounds like you are taking a lot of Vibration from that saw. Kinda like a hard tail motor cycle. Couple of things either get another saw with less vibes would be #1 2nd would be anti-vibe gloves. 3rd running a chain that is designed for less vibes Stihl rsc comes to mind(anything stihl that has a "c" in it means comfort). This may take a combo to get the right effect. I have came off saws that made your whole body feel like tennis elbow!

I've run a few old saws (pre anti-vibe) that made my hands go to sleep after a few minutes from all the vibration. If that electric saw doesn't have AV, you might want to consider a small top-handle saw...or and AV electric (if there is such a thing)...

Take that times 2 weeks! Some are smoother than others. Chains can help, but duller they get the worse it is. Most electric are not made for heavy running so, he most be on tough sob. The the really good one are big money.

Wow! I had no idea there were such options... 'comfort" chains and anti-vibe gloves? I guess the fact that I using an electric saw from Home Depot should give some indication of my forestry knowledge.

And yes, a top-handle saw is also in order- just a matter of budget, and trying to find the right saw. Leaning towards Stihl MS190, but I need to try one first to make sure I can pull it!

bluedogz said:
Wow! I had no idea there were such options... 'comfort" chains and anti-vibe gloves? I guess the fact that I using an electric saw from Home Depot should give some indication of my forestry knowledge.

And yes, a top-handle saw is also in order- just a matter of budget, and trying to find the right saw. Leaning towards Stihl MS190, but I need to try one first to make sure I can pull it!

The 190 is now a 192c-e and there is a 192t its a top handle they are the same saw just a differnt place to hang on to. The chain is an .043 very narrow kerf and will go through the wood very smoothly meaning less vibes! The 192t is cheaper in price.

The 192T is a little screamer. With the top handle it will give a place for a foot to pin it down. If your into building things, if you find the saw a bit cumbersome to pull start, you could build a box with a strap for holding the saw down and the bottom of the box extending to the side for a foot hold. Now ya got my noggin spinning. ;-P

Jags said:
The 192T is a little screamer. With the top handle it will give a place for a foot to pin it down. If your into building things, if you find the saw a bit cumbersome to pull start, you could build a box with a strap for holding the saw down and the bottom of the box extending to the side for a foot hold. Now ya got my noggin spinning. ;-P

lol, leave it to you to engineer something.....Now that you said it, seems it would take much to hold one.

bluedogz said:

I started to have the same issue. Stihl solved my problem with an anti vibration saw. Mine also has an easy start feature. Pull the rope and wait. It turns over by itself and starts. Kicks butt over any of the older chainsaws we ever had. Didn't know any of this until my hands started to go numb on the old saw. I had to travel to get to a full size dealer, but was amazed what is available. I even got a ceramic chain. It has three cords of oak and hickory on it and has not been back for sharpening. That may need to be taken care of this fall, but so far so good.

Smokinjay

Most electric are not made for heavy running so, he most be on tough sob

Thanks for the compliment, but 'tough' is just another word for 'not knowing when to quit.' The 'toughness' to which you refer is a factor in the one-armed situation in the first place. That's a story for another time...

You all are right, I knew this little Homelite was not meant for heavy duty. My thinking was to get a season out of it for $39.99 and chuck it when done. To Homelite's credit, the saw exceeded expectations for the price.

It seems like a temporary solution would include:
1) New or sharp chain- have already c/s/s nearly two cords with this one.
2) shorter working days: the 7am-7pm cutting days probably enter into this.
3) Advil
4) Proper gloves

Permanent solution looks like that MS192t, as soon as I answer the one-handed-starting question.

bluedogz said:
Smokinjay

Most electric are not made for heavy running so, he most be on tough sob

Thanks for the compliment, but 'tough' is just another word for 'not knowing when to quit.' The 'toughness' to which you refer is a factor in the one-armed situation in the first place. That's a story for another time...

You all are right, I knew this little Homelite was not meant for heavy duty. My thinking was to get a season out of it for $39.99 and chuck it when done. To Homelite's credit, the saw exceeded expectations for the price.

It seems like a temporary solution would include:
1) New or sharp chain- have already c/s/s nearly two cords with this one.
2) shorter working days: the 7am-7pm cutting days probably enter into this.
3) Advil
4) Proper gloves

Permanent solution looks like that MS, as soon as I answer the one-handed-starting question.

I have stayed on saws way to long....Bio-flex is the pill to have...Buy it anywhere! See if your foot will slide into the top handle its not going to take much to hold a 192t down.

Bungee cord it to a box would be more than enough to.

smokinjay said:
lol, leave it to you to engineer something.....

I have a passion for solving problems/issues. Most of them are useless to anyone but me, but they almost always work. :lol:

At first glance it looks like a bit of 'skateboard tape' (the black sandy stuff) on the top of the handle would give some boot traction if necessary. However, all reviews of Stihl's Easy-Start system indicate this is unnecessary.

bluedogz said:
At first glance it looks like a bit of 'skateboard tape' (the black sandy stuff) on the top of the handle would give some boot traction if necessary. However, all reviews of Stihl's Easy-Start system indicate this is unnecessary.

Yea at some point you have to pull the cord. More parts = more failure....

Thumb and first two fingers going numb is classic carpal syndrome. Stop what you are doing and rethink the whole thing, you only got the one arm to work with. As a 25+ year sufferer of CTS I can assure you you don't want to start down that road. I have about half the strength in my hands I once had all because of CTS.

I never used the Stihl 192T, but I've run its rear-handled brother and it's a real nice saw. Plenty of power for smaller trees and smooth as silk. I'll add my voice to the 192T, it seems custom made for a guy with one arm.

Hey dogz.... Check out your new mistress! MS192T-CE, I double-checked to make sure you can get the Easy2Start on a MS192T and you can!

http://www.stihlusa.com/pressrelease/july08_ms192_chainsaw.aspx

JimboM is right, you can turn this thing over by winding her up and waiting for it to go. There is no hard Jerk-Jerk-Jerk of compression to slow you down. You should even be able to clamp it 'tween your knees and get it to go.

Here's the best video demo I found. It's a MS250 but the system works the same. Even better on a small saw like the MS192T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do6ti76YSJ8&feature=related

Note to self; This guy cuts for 12 hours on an electric Homelite. That's pain. I should use that as punishment for anyone who straight-gases my saws.

bluedogz said:
Thanks for the compliment, but 'tough' is just another word for 'not knowing when to quit.' The 'toughness' to which you refer is a factor in the one-armed situation in the first place. That's a story for another time.

Hey, you aren't the guy who got stuck in a crevice and cut off his own arm with a pocket knife, are you?

Hey, you aren't the guy who got stuck in a crevice and cut off his own arm with a pocket knife, are you?

No, although Mr. Ralston (the man in question) is another classic story that shows a little common sense can prevent a lot of injury. Had be bothered telling someone where he was hiking, he might not have been so screwed.

but sometimes telling someone where you are going can cost you your life :smirk:

BattenKiller is correct. I had some trauma in my early twenties. Young and dumb, I ignored the discomfort, pain and the doctors. Actually, your young body heals quickly and you think it is always going to be that way. It is for a while.

Now, in my sixties, I sit at this computer a few times a day with ice on some joints, warm water baths on others, and stretching protocol at other times. Fortunately, the old bod continues to function, but maintenance has gone up. Try to keep from going down that path if possible.

Battenkiller said:
Thumb and first two fingers going numb is classic carpal syndrome. Stop what you are doing and rethink the whole thing, you only got the one arm to work with. As a 25+ year sufferer of CTS I can assure you you don't want to start down that road. I have about half the strength in my hands I once had all because of CTS.

I never used the Stihl 192T, but I've run its rear-handled brother and it's a real nice saw. Plenty of power for smaller trees and smooth as silk. I'll add my voice to the 192T, it seems custom made for a guy with one arm.

Good advice, Battenkiller.

Bluedogz, do not take these symptoms lightly. If you haven't already done so, please read up on RAYNAUD'S SYNDROME (WHITE FINGER SYNDROME).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration_white_finger

I'm more sensitive to the vibrations, so I use saws with good anti-vibration technology and anti-vibration gloves. The gloves really do help me. Also, one of the smoothest chains I've used is of the NARROW KERF type that Jay mentioned.

For all of you, let me just say how happy I am I stumbled across Hearth.com. This is some really sensible advice that will let me keep doing what I like at my home and avoid injury due to my stubbornness. Add to that the fact that my stove works correctly now, and life is looking better!

Thanks again, folks.

jeff_t said:
smokinjay said:
Oh and if you want something for your self Bio flex will help bring you around much quickier! Dont ask how I figured that out...

Is this what you're talking about, Jay? http://www.osteobiflex.com/

Yep! Works wonders on arthritis or tennis elbow.

Status
Not open for further replies.