Chainsaw Training Course- CT or New England

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exmasonite

Feeling the Heat
Oct 3, 2010
Novi, MI
Hey all... I had another thread about my chainsaw selection but decided to start a new thread about this... (I got a lightly used 260 Pro)

Little background: Just moved to NW Conn, have 8-9 wooded acres, a nice wood stove that heats about 60-70% of the house. Already have a few downed trees to process, need to get 2-3 yrs done this spring hopefully as i am suffering through a couple cords of "seasoned" delivered wood in october that's pretty wet and not fun. Planning on 3-5 cords/yr.

I have some very basic experience using a chainsaw but want to do it "right" so have started looking around for some good instructional options.

Found a real nice posting from '09 on the CT.gov site here: http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/forestry/currentevents/flyer_gol_level_1_nov_2009.pdf

Anybody else able to recommend any good instructional courses in the CT or new england area? I'm assuming i'm a little ahead of the curve here and will need to wait until spring but figured i'd start making arrangements as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Mods: In hindsight, not sure if this should go in this forum, the shed or somewhere else... feel free to put wherever. thanks.

Hi, if your local school system has a B.O.C.E.S. program check there 1st. They may have 2 classes a year on safely using chainsaws. imo the best thing about these courses are the fascinating people you meet there...valuable contacts.

savage-

thanks for the info. so far, all my google searches for BOCES tell me it's a NY thing. will have to make some calls about a CT equivalent. thanks!

I am also interested in something like that. I am in the Lower Hudson Valley, NY. I'll travel a couple hours if need be. My local BOCES doesn't offer anything. Too many darn city slickers down here.

Hmmm... any chance that a mod or senior member would ever consider putting one of these together? Maybe a little forum meet up? I'd be happy to pay some $$ and sign an ironclad liability waiver.

Just a thought. Thanks.

Anybody else able to recommend any good instructional courses in the CT or new england area?

Smartass reply:

CT is part of New England.

Useful reply:

My local Community College (Berkshire Community College) is always offering "The Game of Logging" courses. Check out the main website and see if any courses are near you.

http://www.gameoflogging.com/

8-9 acres in CT sounds like a nice plot of land. If it's wooded you might, with careful management, get all you FW right there in your backyard. And props to you for seeing the wisdom of staying 3 years out with seasoned wood. Once you get that far ahead the pressure is off and it's real easy to get way, way ahead with very little effort.

My advice is don't work when your tired, bring a chair into the woods, spell yourself enjoy the moment. Other than that, learn to hand-file. Good luck ExM

savageactor7 said:
My advice is don't work when your tired, bring a chair into the woods, spell yourself enjoy the moment. Other than that learn to hand-file. Good luck ExM

It's bad enough Dennis has new recuits sittin' on a milk crate to split . . . now you want um sittin in a chair to cut?!? Don't seem like you'd have much leverage in the event of a kickback . . . or was the chair for
l_33ac3c25135d4788851df6e56433ac33.jpg

^ good point.

THE CHAIR IS FOR RESTING ONLY.

...for clarity.

savageactor7 said:
^ good point.

THE CHAIR IS FOR RESTING ONLY.

...for clarity.

Oh Crap!

Not to derail this topic. But I wanted to share with you fellow cutters that I started wearing kneepads a few years ago. WOW what a great piece of gear they are if you're dropping to to a knee every now and then...solid foundation.

savageactor7 said:
Not to derail this topic. But I wanted to share with you fellow cutters that I started wearing kneepads a few years ago. WOW what a great piece of gear they are if you're dropping to to a knee every now and then...solid foundation.

Kneepads pads Really?

Though I like 'getting away' I really go to the woods to . . . well, um . . . get wood. All this restin' sheetz is a new concept for me . . .

No offense Savage . . . but I can't see myself wearing kneepads in the woods . . . but to each their own . . . if it works for you that is what is truly important.

mayhem said:
Anybody else able to recommend any good instructional courses in the CT or new england area?

CT is part of New England.

Hehe... i do realize that. Given the choice, i'd rather travel to winsted, CT over hanover, NH though.

Thanks for all the info. I will definitely check out the game of logging course... might be just what I'm looking for. thanks for the info (and keep them coming)

Status
Not open for further replies.