Chair for new workbench? - Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
hello
I celebrated finishing the wiring of the workshop by replacing the folding table with a solid OAK workbench! I had my eye on the Harbor Freight bench mainly because it had 4 draws and a storage shelf underneath. This compared to others on the Internet for $159.95 seemed like a good deal. When it went on sale last weekend my son and I drove over Sunday in the snowstorm just before they closed and picked it up for $127.95 with the 20% coupon which was even cheaper than the $129.95 sale price! When we got it home and took all the pices out I was amazed at how well built it is! The store associate said some people by two and put them back to back for a super strong island in the kitchen! Then if the need arises they can open up the side wood clamp and cut a pipe or piece of wood quick to fix the sink or whatever! LOL
I also ordered a 1/4" piece of Lexan to protect the top. :)
Also got a power strip at Lowe's only $22.95 for the right leg. See last few pics.
So it went together very well but it is higher than the table. So I am wondering what would be a good chair for it? (Bar Stool...etc.)

Here is what I found so far on the Internet. :)
https://www.google.com/search?q=wor...tzP7prSAhVGOSYKHS3QDqAQ1TUIQg&biw=414&bih=628

Attachments

• IMG_8906.PNG
    IMG_8906.PNG
    200.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_8967.JPG
    IMG_8967.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_8969.JPG
    IMG_8969.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_8979.JPG
    IMG_8979.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_8980.JPG
    IMG_8980.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_8981.JPG
    IMG_8981.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I spent 25 years as a Auto mechanic and 20 years as a wood worker
I found that having a seat at my work bench a pain in the ass you were
always getting up or moving the chair . It was always in the way no
matter what you were doing from a carb overhaul to making an delicate
ring box No thanks keep your chair out of my shop . Your knees are always in the way

Hello
- I picked up a Parsall Fabric Swivel adjustable height Drafting chair on sale for Presidents' Day this weekend.
The specs said min is 46.6 and max height is 52.4 inches. However that is to the very top of theback.
It is 28 inches To the seat!!
So the seat height range is 28" to 33"
However the workbench barstool is 24" which seems to be the ideal height,
The standard chair is only 18" heigh to the seat
So I went behind the shed and found a 6x6 which I cut in half and put under each workbench leg!
This give the comfortable drafting chair to table effective seat range with the table up 5.75"
From 22.25" to 27.25"
So that can get me the height of the old workbench stool of 24" from floor to the seat like this one.
https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline....gclid=CLvDl8rOndICFYlLDQodGjED1Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Because I have 4 draws 2 an 2 then the effective 22.25" works well for me!!! That is my final analogy!

$124.70 with arms and $94.79 with NO arms
http://m.staples.com/Staples-Parsall-Fabric-Stool-Black/product_2260272

Pic 1 - chair I purchased with casters

Attachments

• IMG_8999.PNG
    IMG_8999.PNG
    40.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_8989.JPG
    IMG_8989.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_8986.JPG
    IMG_8986.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
hello
I celebrated finishing the wiring of the workshop by replacing the folding table with a solid OAK workbench! I had my eye on the Harbor Freight bench mainly because it had 4 draws and a storage shelf underneath. This compared to others on the Internet for $159.95 seemed like a good deal. When it went on sale last weekend my son and I drove over Sunday in the snowstorm just before they closed and picked it up for $127.95 with the 20% coupon which was even cheaper than the $129.95 sale price! When we got it home and took all the pices out I was amazed at how well built it is! The store associate said some people by two and put them back to back for a super strong island in the kitchen! Then if the need arises they can open up the side wood clamp and cut a pipe or piece of wood quick to fix the sink or whatever! LOL
I also ordered a 1/4" piece of Lexan to protect the top. :)
Also got a power strip at Lowe's only $22.95 for the right leg. See last few pics.
So it went together very well but it is higher than the table. So I am wondering what would be a good chair for it? (Bar Stool...etc.)

Here is what I found so far on the Internet. :)
https://www.google.com/search?q=wor...tzP7prSAhVGOSYKHS3QDqAQ1TUIQg&biw=414&bih=628
Look on Craigslist for any of it. Always good stuff available.

Reactions: Don2222