Champion 22ton Wood Splitter - Champ or Chimp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babzog

Oct 25, 2011
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Anyone have any experience or opinions of the Champion 22ton splitters they sell at TSC (well, TSC in Canada, anyway). They're on sale tomorrow (and Fri, IIRC) for $900, normally $1500.

Found this review:
I split a lot of wood and always take notice when I see a wood splitter I have not yet had the pleasure to look at or try out.

Today, for the first time, I encountered the Champion 22 ton log splitter which sells for anywhere between $999 and $1299. I actually got the opportunity to assist in splitting about a cord of wood with it. Here are my findings:

Pro's
1. Fairly compact and light weight. Good size tires that made it easy to relocate by hand during splitting
2. Large capacity fuell tank
3. Fairly quick cycle time and easy to operate hydraulic valve
4. Good wedge design that led to effective splitting of all sorts of wood. The wedge is actually angled such that the top cutting edge of the wedge makes contact with the log first. This seamed to help it splitter tougher logs a bit better.
5. Side wings keep logs from falling to the ground so you can just reposition and split them again.

Con's:
1. Cheaply made with light gauge metal and hardware. Although it comes with the side wings standard, they are very flimsy. Within 15 minutes of use, both of them were already bent and I can not see them holding up to any serious use.
2. Very thin tubing used for tounge, hitch, and frame. Will not take much to bend
3. Most dissapointing- After using it for an hour, we had to stop. 2 of the 4 bolts used to secure the hyraulic cylinder to the frame on one side of the splitter literally sheared their heads off. Now we get to have fun with drills and easy outs after only one hour of use. This looks like an inherent design flaw. 4 1/4-20 bolts on each side dont look like they are beefy enough to counteract 22 tons of splitting force. I would expect this will be a re-occuring problem on this splitter
4. Very stupid placement of the motor and its associated gas tank. If you get a log stuck on the splitting wedge and retract it, if the log has spread far enough apart, you could literally shear the gas tank right off the engine if you retracted the splitting wedge and did not notice that the split piece was headed for the fuel tank. Moving the motor over a few more inches would have definately solved this problem.

Summary:
This does not impress me as a splitter that will stand the test of time, if fact it did not even hold up for and hour worth of fairly moderate use. Much better choice in this price range would be the Speeco 22 ton splitter sold at Tractor Supply. I have helped a friend split several dozen cords of wood with his Speeco 22 ton and it is by far superior to the Champion 22 ton and is built twice as tough. Save your money and leave the Champion 22 ton splitter in the store as a pretty looking display item.
Could not find factory, where made or manufacturer (suspect china,)

Also sounds like it is meant to be used horizontally; very poor design on that point. I've not seen them though so can't comment further.

I think I've seen one of these at Lowes, or Home Depot....just looking at it made me feel uneasy about buying it....didn't look like something I would trust....Yellow Cylinder....no name Blue motor

I was in TSC this AM picking up a few other things and listening to a girl talking to a customer about the splitter. She said it shouldn't be towed on the highway, best to put it in a truck. Last splitter I rented, I went barreling down the highway with it behind the van and no problems. That's what I want from a splitter. If this thing can't even be trusted to be towed, I wonder (given the unfavourable review above) how it would stand up to a bit of gnarly elm or a maple knot? Thanks guys, they can keep it. Apparently, TSC Canada used to sell the speeco splitters - guy at work bought one 2 - 3 years ago, but they seem long since replaced by lower priced chinese garbage.

I've learned if you are going to go cheap, buy real cheap so you can spend money fixing, R&R the cheaper parts, & re-enforcing the frame & other weak points.
It not that cheap don't work, just they normally don't last. More maintenance.
Most home owners can go "middle of the road" in quality & with good maintenance they will last many years.
But any mechanical system can break any time, top dollar or cheap. Cheap just seems to almost guarantee it will break.
What bothered me about this one, was what the guy reviewing it said in his "cons " : " looks cheaply made" ;"Already bent wings & sheared ram mount bolts"; "stupid placement of the motor and its associated gas tank"
My 2¢ anyway.
I looked at several before I got mine, the HD & Lowes ones here were "cheap looking" china made compared to the one I got. I paid a little more, got a re-furbished 22T Speeco.
Happy with it so far. But it has components on it made in china.

I have had one for a few months now and have only had one piece it wouldn't split mostly sugar, silver maple and oak. The side racks are a little flimsey and bend but are easily bent back. The tabs to clear jammed logs from the wedge are also a weak point and I will likely replace them with more substantial metal.
It does start easily and runs well and long on a tank of gas.
This is the first splitter I have owned or used so my frame of reference is small. I have split 4-5 cords with it and some of them were pretty large (see photos).
The wedge and base seem very sturdy and splits horizontal and vertical.
It does not recommend towing over 45mph.
Over all I like it but its all I have used and was free for mowing my FIL lawn for 2 summers.
I did see it on sale at local Rural King store tomorrow for $699.00.

Attachments

• 0816111632.jpg
    0816111632.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,186
  • IMG-20110904-00024.jpg
    IMG-20110904-00024.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,196
Welcome mo381
Good review
Just what the OP asked for.
Wasn't free, you did some work for it ;) but a good deal for you.
Thanks for posting

babzog said:
I was in TSC this AM picking up a few other things and listening to a girl talking to a customer about the splitter. She said it shouldn't be towed on the highway, best to put it in a truck. Last splitter I rented, I went barreling down the highway with it behind the van and no problems. That's what I want from a splitter. If this thing can't even be trusted to be towed, I wonder (given the unfavourable review above) how it would stand up to a bit of gnarly elm or a maple knot? Thanks guys, they can keep it. Apparently, TSC Canada used to sell the speeco splitters - guy at work bought one 2 - 3 years ago, but they seem long since replaced by lower priced chinese garbage.

In all fairness I really don't know any wood splitters that are designed to be towed on-road, they all lack the suspension to do so. TSC said the same thing about my Huskee (Speeco).

Huskyforlife said:
babzog said:

In all fairness I really don't know any wood splitters that are designed to be towed on-road, they all lack the suspension to do so. TSC said the same thing about my Huskee (Speeco).

I rented a Wallenstein last April and towed it at 110 down the highway for nearly half an hour (asked rental shop if I could take it on the highway first). No problems... it tracked pretty nicely behind the van. Only started keeping an eye on it once I got off the highway and took the secondary roads to my buddy's place.

The Speeco-type splitter that the fellow at work bought was given the same advice - don;t tow at highway speeds (tires too small). I suppose you could R&R the tires and have it tow better.

I'll never forget the day someone passed me on a county road pulling a splitter behind a pickup. Scared me to no end as he was flying....and so was the splitter.

Backwoods Savage said:
I'll never forget the day someone passed me on a county road pulling a splitter behind a pickup. Scared me to no end as he was flying....and so was the splitter.

I was concerned as well, but they told me it would be fine, which it was, Maybe that's the difference a $2400 splitter makes over a $1000 one.

I don't doubt that. They mostly are made for pulling around the farm but not on the highway. I had a fellow borrow ours a couple times and he lived almost 20 miles from us. We loaded it onto his pickup rather than haul it down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.