Check my math, what am I going through?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Ok, wood storage near the stove. Under the stairs and fully packed every 10-12 days. The bottom measures 42" wide, by 56" long, by 48" high. If I divide those numbers by 12 to get "Feet", then multiply them together, I get 65.38. If I divide them by 2,(to halve the stair angle), I end up with 32.69. If I divide 128 (cord) by 32.69, I end up with 3.91. If I multiply 3.91 times reload days(approx.10), then I'm going through a cord every 39-40 days. Does this make sense, or do I need an intervention and re-hab? Thanks, JB

I divided 32.7 by 128 = .255 cords per 10 days
About 1/4 cord under the steps.*** lasts 10 days*** 40 days = 1 cord
But your way works.
3 cords in 4 months is pretty good.
Wood type is key too. Remember someone posted BTUs in a pound of wood is same for any wood. Some woods are heavier like oak - locust & you'd burn less volume
My spruce seems 1/2 the weight & burns faster (less BTU's/cord)than the birch & it shows when burning. Birch is a hotter fire & burns allot longer (more BTUs/cord)

What wood you burning, I think you said lodge pole, but forgot.

Math seems right. I wish I could burn that little and keep the house warm. When its cold and blowing, I can easily go through a cord of locust, sugar maple, beech, etc in 2 weeks.

The wife has started a "wood log" to chart our usage. We stocked that area last Sat., and I still have half left as of this morning. I'm not gonna say we'll get another 7 days out of it, so for the average, 10 days works . If I figure 270 heating days, I'll need approx. 6.75 cord/year. Realistically, I won't use that much, but thats a good thing. I'm liking this King thing better every day. BTW, thanks for all the help previously, the stove is burning nicely now that the idiot operator has his head pulled out.

Beetle-Kill said:
The wife has started a "wood log" to chart our usage. We stocked that area last Sat., and I still have half left as of this morning. I'm not gonna say we'll get another 7 days out of it, so for the average, 10 days works . If I figure 270 heating days, I'll need approx. 6.75 cord/year. Realistically, I won't use that much, but thats a good thing. I'm liking this King thing better every day. BTW, thanks for all the help previously, the stove is burning nicely now that the idiot operator has his head pulled out.

Glad to here burning has improved. Good to have some reserve wood at the end of the season & not scramble to get more like some had to this winter.
Is getting 7 cords reasonably do-able in your area? & stay 1 year ahead?
Getting harder here, more wood burners coming on-line due to fuel $$ going up.
Same for me. when I finally figured out that the cat was almost plugged & got that fixed, the stove has performed great.
My wood was fine, plenty dry. just need a place for the exhaust to go :lol:
Learning curve for cat operations has been worth it. Like you I'm liking the stove more & more as I learn to clean & operate it properly.
I figure 6 cords +/- this year. (little more than 6 months burning for me) Mostly birch. Allot depends on the weather, been below 0 at nights teens day time. Next month
should start to get warmer , (lot more sun with some heat in it finally) Will hit 12 hours mid March.
Now; full load of Birch at night ** 5 splits of spruce during the day.

Hey Dave. I have a few wheelbarrow loads of last seasons wood left, then I'll have to start on the stuff I did last summer. And I have plenty. Went a little nuts using Zap as inspiration, and prolly have 13-15 cord ready to go. Plus I have another 50 or so at a friends. Made a deal with an arborist for a bumper for his truck, and the guy just UNLOADED wood! Mix of Aspen and Pine. I figure we might have it split and stacked in 2 summers. The learning curve is definitly different for this stove vs. the last thing. That one, load it full and let it rip. This one, the small hot fires when it was cold worked great. Now with the moderate temps. (teens at night) I can load it up but back off the T-stat. This morning I still had a lot of wood in the box from the nights load, so I tossed on 2 splits just in case before I went to work (was snowing pretty good). I'm home now, it's 82 °F inside, and the T-stat is down to 1. Solar gain plays a part, but if I can keep up with the -full load at night, add 1-3 splits in the morning, then re-load at night, I'll be a happy boy.

The math checks out, and burning about a cord a month makes sense. That is about what I am burning, although it has to be a lot colder where you live.

intervention and re-hab...................................

Status
Not open for further replies.