check this out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
We have a ton of wood id questions
is it possible to make a sticky or a thread that has different tree species with actual pictures?
so i could scroll down to red oak and see 3-4 pics red oak that people have cut or split...
a lot of times looking at the lively standing tree doesnt help but if we had peoples pics one could just reference the sticky or 1 specific thread.
I am not good with tree species but just tossing the idea out there ...

If your looking at live trees wait for the leave to come. Thats the easiest way to tell.

I like the idea. I think it would be helpful and avoid people doing a lot of searching through previous treads in hopes of not posting something that was recently asked.

I like all the what is this split posts as I rarely get to see the trees the rounds I get came from.

SolarAndWood said:
I like all the what is this split posts as I rarely get to see the trees the rounds I get came from.

me too but i was thinking 1 thread with pictures so we could all see the tree, round, split ...
i guess i could start one just ask people to post picks of tree species but refrain from making comments without pics???

There is a guy on the forum here that has been compiling photos. Can't wait to see when it all comes together!

One problem with a compilation of pics of bark and wood from many different people is that you couldn't be sure that all the trees are what the people who posted them thought they were.

however, it does sound like a really great resource, if something like that did exist. it actually seems like something like that shouldn't just be a sticky - but really should have its own website and have it liked to hearth.com - that way you could put up pictures that were good enough quality and large enough to actually be helpful to someone. The small picture size that were allowed to post on this site isn't always that helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.