Cherry Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
After splitting the White Pine I noticed a tree down towards the south so I took a walk back, turns out it's a Cherry, looks like I'll grab this in the spring since I'll need a trail in on the lower side (to the left in the picture).

To the right of the picture is the hill I first started cutting on, 13 Cherry down along with 4 Maple after the micro burst of 2008. I've n been back on that hill since.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4628.jpg
    100_4628.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 349
That's up off the ground nicely. Should be in great shape!

Woody Stover said:
That's up off the ground nicely. Should be in great shape!

Easy to make most of the bucking cuts with it propped like that. Then a few sticks under the butt log to finish the bucking without cutting dirt.

Some day, I know not when, but we'll have to teach zap ho to fell a tree. That is, if he ever catches up with Mother Nature felling all of those trees.

It's getting to that area (lots of chit down) but I've been wanting a trail in so once the ice & snow is gone it will go in. I'm not sure why but most of the Cherry are like that or leaners.

zap

Just another tree to add to the list, huh zap? It'll make a good bridge for the squirrels until then.

Backwoods Savage said:
Some day, I know not when, but we'll have to teach zap ho to fell a tree. That is, if he ever catches up with Mother Nature felling all of those trees.

Well Sav not many left, been working on the downed trees mother nature fell since the spring of 2008. It feels good working on the shoulder season wood that mother nature fell.

Have a bad widow maker in an area we travel, I think I could drop another tree in it or get it in the spring with a cable around it with the old green GMC. The first picture is the top, the second is the base of the tree which looks like it's rotting.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4622-1.jpg
    100_4622-1.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 100_4623-1.jpg
    100_4623-1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 100_4631.jpg
    100_4631.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 279
Try a grapple hook.
Is that a pot of beans & ham ? Now I'm hungry, Corn bread ?

bogydave said:
Try a grapple hook.
Is that a pot of beans & ham ? Now I'm hungry, Corn bread ?

Great Nothern White Bean Soup, thats bacon you can see, the boss cooked it when I was in the woods so we had some tonight.....it's great.

zap

zapny said:
I'm not sure why but most of the Cherry are like that or leaners.
I see that here as well. I've gotten four Cherry within the last year. One here that was blown, or fell over. Another here, small standing dead. Just got two at a neighbor's property. One was leaning last time I went in there five months back, and had fallen when I went back last week. Found another one back there that had fallen. Both of these trees were alive. I'm guessing that the Cherries don't have deep, strong root systems, but I don't know for sure...

That soup is making me hungry! :cheese:

I'll type up or take a pic of the recipe tomorrow then put it up in the Nook. Up here I think the blow downs have a lot to do with our soil, I'm guessing I felled 15 - 20 trees since cutting in 2008, about 10 of those were leaners.

zap

I walked my woods a few times with forest rangers and they told me cherry trees have a limited life. I do have a few giants where the forest ranger just said, "they are not supposed to get that big". What happens, after they get real large, you will see them start losing large branches. They are like humans and have a limited life where as Oaks can grow for almost ever (hundreds of years). Cherry trees are often some of the first trees you see growing on new growth around here. Of course wind can always speed up the process, but Oaks will always end up out shading them, and they die.

GAWN, how is your elbow doing.

zap

nice stuff ready for cuttin, zap. And that bean soup looks delish.......

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Well Sav not many left, been working on the downed trees mother nature fell since the spring of 2008. It feels good working on the shoulder season wood that mother nature fell.

Have a bad widow maker in an area we travel, I think I could drop another tree in it or get it in the spring with a cable around it with the old green GMC. The first picture is the top, the second is the base of the tree which looks like it's rotting.

zap

Now the next time we stop I'd really appreciate seeing some of that bean soup cooking away. Bet we could make a big dent in it too. Of course, we'd have to leave the next day....

Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis I was thinking the same thing. Zap blinks an eye and trees are down ready for him to cut to the standard "zap" length, +or - 1/16 of an inch! :)

zapny said:
GAWN, how is your elbow doing.

zap
Thanks for remembering Zap. It is not great, I tried to hit a small bucket of balls in Florida about 2 weeks ago and it flared up bad again. For Valentines, both my wife and I are going in for Cortisone shots. Talk about feeling like I am getting old or something. I have not split any wood all winter trying to let it heal. I guess I should be doing some therapy, I do not like being idle.

I hope things work out, it's the road we will all travel sooner or later.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.