Cherry Pits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragracer300

Nov 20, 2010
Ohio
Anyone use cherry pits in their multi fuel stove? I was thinking of trying some to see if they have more heat than pellets. Any pros or cons?
Thanks

Yes, But not just in a multifuel stove. They burn in pellet stoves as well. But make sure your vent is rated for them. I have mixed them in with low grade wood pellets and grass pellets. They increased the heat output. I added about 25% to the mix. One of these days. I do the multifuel testing and see what they are doing compared to corn, Timothy grass and switch grass.

Pro's

Burn very fast but lots of heat output

Con's
Pricey cost as much or more than a wood pellet in my area.

I have been using pellets from american wood fibers i got from my local tsc store. They also have cherry pits for a little more money. I just thought i would try them to see how much heat i got from them.

Well i went to get a few bags of cherry pits today and as i was standing in line i overheard the manager tell the clerk the had 2 skids of somerset pellets left and to sell them for the same price as the others at 175.00 a ton so i brought those home as well. The somersets seem to burn very nice in the 6041 and put out good heat. So i would say it was a good day. {So far?} LOL!

They do have a bit more ash but its pretty fluffy so I haven't seen any problems. Please post some feedback when you get to burn some. But you could always mix them with the AWF to increase the heat output, Yet keep the burn length high. Where they 30 lbs bags or the 50 lbs bags? My TSC has the 30 lbs bags and they are charging that. Not worth messing with them for that money. Sometimes they have the 50 lbs-ers Then I don't mind paying the asking price.

These are the 50s my stove has been acting up today? it will be burning nice then the flame will go out and it starts smoking like crazy? I shut it off earlier and cleaned it out good I relit it a while ago and its still doing it? Any ideas?

dragracer300 said:
These are the 50s my stove has been acting up today? it will be burning nice then the flame will go out and it starts smoking like crazy? I shut it off earlier and cleaned it out good I relit it a while ago and its still doing it? Any ideas?

When was the last time you checked and cleaned the vent pipe and other vital areas like the ash traps? Could just need more damper adjustment pull it out for more feed air. I don't have much on the 6041 besides a few hours of tinkering after the install.

I just cleaned the whole flue top to bottom 2 days ago i have the draft open about 1" it burns nice and tall when its burning? I have only run 3 bags through since the total cleaning?

dragracer300 said:
How do u do the microwave test?

1. place 1/2 cup pellets in a GLASS (not plastic) bowl.
2. cover the bowl with a saucer to make moderately airtight
3. nuke them in microwave for about 45 sec, to 1 minute.
4. immediately when finished heating remove the saucer and tip it up vertically, look for moisture on the bottom of the saucer, there should be a little. If enough is present to allow it to run down the bottom of the saucer, they have excessive moisture

Thanks i'll try that. It seems like it happen when the burn pot agitator moves it sometimes puts the flame out? Then it relights the next time it turns?

Well i started testing the cherry pits today mixing 50/50 with somersets. They seem to burn well and seem to put out more heat. I actually dropped the heat setting 1 number and house is staying the same temp.

When doing a test for moisture in the microwave, don't leave them on for more than a minute, especially in a 1,000 watt microwave or you're going to start cooking them and you may have ignition if you leave them in too long.. 45 seconds is ample time to see some condensation if they are damp.

Status
Not open for further replies.