Cherry Time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I've been waiting for this widow - maker to come down, looks like yesterday with the heavy rain with some wind did the trick, going on the schedule.

Pictures 4817 & 4818 show the widow - maker,5663 & 5664 is tonight where it came down (glad I waited) 5665 is the top of the cherry and 5666 is where the hung up maple cut loose from.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4817.JPG
    100_4817.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_4818.JPG
    100_4818.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_5663.JPG
    100_5663.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_5664.JPG
    100_5664.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_5665.JPG
    100_5665.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_5666.JPG
    100_5666.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: ScotO
I've got a cherry similar to that I have been looking at for 2 years now. She's still hangin around.

Darn it Zap, Why do you keep posting pictures of Cherry trees......You know my obsession with them and it doesn't help my problem at all when I keep coveting your firewood! ;lol LOL

Seriously though that's a nice Cherry Tree and for now I will have to just think about smoking some baby back ribs with that wood and looking for my own Cherry tree to cut down. One of these days my neighbor down the road is going to wake at 3 am to me standing in his front yard with a chainsaw and his cherry tree is going to be in my truck! My insanity plea will go something like Zap kept teasing me with cherry tree pictures and it caused me to go insane so it's his fault! LOL ;lol

Darn it Zap, Why do you keep posting pictures of Cherry trees......You know my obsession with them and it doesn't help my problem at all when I keep coveting your firewood! ;lol LOL

Seriously though that's a nice Cherry Tree and for now I will have to just think about smoking some baby back ribs with that wood and looking for my own Cherry tree to cut down. One of these days my neighbor down the road is going to wake at 3 am to me standing in his front yard with a chainsaw and his cherry tree is going to be in my truck! My insanity plea will go something like Zap kept teasing me with cherry tree pictures and it caused me to go insane so it's his fault! LOL ;lol

Brisket smoked w/ Black Cherry scrap from milling 5/20/12 ::-)

Attachments

• PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 111
  • PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 131
  • PICT0023.JPG
    PICT0023.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 103
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 116
Yeah thanks a whole lot......Go ahead and rub some more salt in that wound.......LOL
That looks killer Thistle! I love smoking with Cherry on baby back ribs coated with a peach flavored rub! Dang it I might have to take off work and go cook something I'm so hungry now!

Zap, sorry for causing a
TrainWreck1.gif
out of your thread.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
certified106, it's always a good thang when it turns to food, never a train wreck.

Who will fire up the pit or smoker first, certified106 or Scotty Overkill?

zap

You're welcome.;)

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
Well, this may not count, but after all this, the grill's gettin' fired up this afternoon.
Strip steak, here I come.
Papa D, put a sliver or two of white oak, applewood, hickory or cherry in several layers of tin foil, or better yet an old tin pan, sit it right about your burners on the grille, and you will get some good flavor on those strips!

Well, OK...the thread started out being about wood. But it took no time at all for it to be all about cooking & food. Therefore, I've unilaterally made the command decision to move this thread over into The Inglenook...a more appropriate venue for this conversation. Post on! Rick

Well, OK...the thread started out being about wood. But it took no time at all for it to be all about cooking & food. Therefore, I've unilaterally made the command decision to move this thread over into The Inglenook...a more appropriate venue for this conversation. Post on! Rick
Rick, you'll have to forgive us slobbering fools. You know how we get when someone mentions FOOD on here!

Reactions: certified106
No need for "forgiveness"...nobody here has done anything "wrong".

O ya Zap way to create a unintentionally amazing food post ! Love it !

Pete

Christmas morning 2010! :cool:
zap
I'm sure glad I had a good meal before I got on here tonight. I do like Scotty's idea with the strips of wood on the grill. Gonna try that.

Reactions: zap
Well mark this one down as derailed by yours truly......:( Sorry about that boys.

Good thing my power was out again last night for the second time this week or I would have been really hungry after reading all of that

Scotty you probably beat me to firing up the grill since it rained al night yesterday however I'm going to call it, Pics or it didn't happen......lol! I don't know if this counts but I spent all evening preparing for a big cook on Saturday. We are having a small family party with some friends at my parents house on Saturday and I had to make all the rubs for almost 40 pound of Pork Butt and shoulder that will be going on the smoker at 4am tomorrow morning. I prepped all the stuff for the home made BBQ sauce, smoked beans, and the coleslaw I will be making also.

Then I decided to just take the smoker out to my parents and spend the night so I prepped the stuff to smoke some fattys in the morning to go with the eggs and biscuits Mom is making for everyone spending the night out there. I should clarify that when I said Fatty's I was talking about thick cut bacon that is basket weaved together, then you roll out the pork sausage over the top of the flat basket weaved bacon, fill the inside full of green peppers, onions and cheese and smoke it for about 2 hours or until it hits internal temp.

Here is a pic of the finished product.

I'm sure glad I had a good meal before I got on here tonight. I do like Scotty's idea with the strips of wood on the grill. Gonna try that.

Well gave it a shot tonight with some white oak,hickory and cherry slivers on top of the burner of the gas grille. Strip steaks were soooooo good. Thanks Scotty

Well mark this one down as derailed by yours truly......:( Sorry about that boys.

Good thing my power was out again last night for the second time this week or I would have been really hungry after reading all of that

Scotty you probably beat me to firing up the grill since it rained al night yesterday however I'm going to call it, Pics or it didn't happen......lol! I don't know if this counts but I spent all evening preparing for a big cook on Saturday. We are having a small family party with some friends at my parents house on Saturday and I had to make all the rubs for almost 40 pound of Pork Butt and shoulder that will be going on the smoker at 4am tomorrow morning. I prepped all the stuff for the home made BBQ sauce, smoked beans, and the coleslaw I will be making also.

Then I decided to just take the smoker out to my parents and spend the night so I prepped the stuff to smoke some fattys in the morning to go with the eggs and biscuits Mom is making for everyone spending the night out there. I should clarify that when I said Fatty's I was talking about thick cut bacon that is basket weaved together, then you roll out the pork sausage over the top of the flat basket weaved bacon, fill the inside full of green peppers, onions and cheese and smoke it for about 2 hours or until it hits internal temp.

Here is a pic of the finished product.

Oh WOW !!!::-)

It's not off the grill but we had homemade ice cream with pineapple lush, taste great.==c

zap

Attachments

• 100_5685.JPG
    100_5685.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_5686.JPG
    100_5686.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_5689.JPG
    100_5689.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_5690.JPG
    100_5690.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 111
It's not off the grill but we had homemade ice cream with pineapple lush, taste great.==c

zap
That looks awesome!

Papa D, put a sliver or two of white oak, applewood, hickory or cherry in several layers of tin foil, or better yet an old tin pan, sit it right about your burners on the grille, and you will get some good flavor on those strips!
Scotty, do you need any water in the pan or aluminium foil? I'm guessing if you use aluminium foil you leave the top open, wide open or just a small sliver?

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.