Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I've had this up before but after selling some wood we have enough area so we can stack this after bucking and splitting it. The date I'm shooting for to have this done is the end of October, it would be done sooner but I will be milling some weekends.

It's dropped alot so it should be safer once I get the area cleaned up around the cherry.

zap

I might save a few 8 foot lengths for milling.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1092.jpg
    100_1092.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 408
  • 100_2644.jpg
    100_2644.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 386
  • 100_2645.jpg
    100_2645.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 379
  • 100_2646.jpg
    100_2646.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 399
loon said:
thats sitting pretty zap! :cheese:

loon

This wood should get us back to being five years ahead on the wood supply.

zap

Well, if you can only stay 5 years ahead, then I guess that's ok %-P

pen

Better hurry Zap before it is covered with snow again :lol:

Cherry is pretty easy milling!

smokinjay said:

Sure is....smells awesome too!!! :coolsmile:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Sure is....smells awesome too!!! :coolsmile:

I must have lost my sniffy! Been cutting slabs of black walnut everyone around me says it has a smell. I dont....lol Only smell I am sure of is hickory smoke.

dude that sucks.... But be glad you're not able to smell piss elm or ailanthus.Cottonwood is pretty rank too if I remember,same with Red/Black Oak cut green on a hot summer day :sick: Smells like a cross between moldy Provolone & inside of my boots after a 10 hr day. :lol: Every cloud has a silver lining you know lol

Thistle said:
dude that sucks.... But be glad you're not able to smell piss elm or ailanthus.Cottonwood is pretty rank too if I remember,same with Red/Black Oak cut green on a hot summer day :sick: Smells like a cross between moldy Provolone & inside of my boots after a 10 hr day. :lol: Every cloud has a silver lining you know lol

I do catch the crap smell of those, but being around farms and still am doesn't bother me. My silly brother loves driving by the big pig farms he loves the smell. (Weird'o) :lol:

Pig and Diary farms, smells like money in the bank.... I'm finding that some of the wood has some wonderful smells to them. Walnut, Oak, and Red Elm are on tip of my list.

Just shuffled the stack of cherry and measured 16% MC on a BIG, 6 month old split. I think that's an excellent bang-for-the-buck.

cygnus said:
Just shuffled the stack of cherry and measured 16% MC on a BIG, 6 month old split. I think that's an excellent bang-for-the-buck.

Thats the nice thing about cherry, it seasons quick.

zap

You are right zap and it looks like that cherry will be some nice cutting too. Those are great to cut....when they aren't covered with snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.